Anyway it's cold up the shed so wrapped up warm I start work on the battle board. Here is a quick pic of where I left it yesterday.
AS you can see it has been painted grey for the ground. You will additionally decern that I only have room to lay half of it out flat at a time. If I put it on the floor it WOULD end up with foot prints (both human and animal) on it. The Flash has made the grey look a little lighter that it actually is. But still you get the idea.
When I measured the interior space it turns out to be just over 21 inches wide. Using the Cars as a rough guide each parking bay need to be 5 inches long and 2 3/4 inches wide, 3 inches if we want space for doors to open or figures to move between them. In an ideal world I would have liked the board a few inches wider and about 6 inches shorter, but who lives in an ideal world. At this stage I have 2 choices for parking bay layouts. I could keep them square to the wall or I could put tham at 45 degrees. The second option would make it harder to park, but would allow more bays. So I'll keep it square to the walls instead. The drawback of this is that the centre can only have one depth of parking space.
The Next stage is to drop some "support columns in place. As a broom handle is actually cheaper than dowelling and as I had one ready to hand, not attached to a broom I hasten to add. I cut some short stubby pillars, short enough not to go above the edge of the paste table. I now realise I should have made them taller as they could then fit into the void above when the table closes up. (Oh well live and learn).
I then marked out the osition of the pillars. A single row down the middle, spaced at 7 inch centres.
As mentioned above only enough room to really work on 1/2 the board at a time. I was going to screw these on, but settled for PVA instead, PVA is actually a resin (resin w to be precise), I made sure I put enough on. So with a parking grid spaced out, but not maked out I then knew where the roads should be and thus where the entry and exit ramps should be.Made from balsa wood, simply because it was to hand and easy to work. I'll sealthe wood last thing tonight with watered down PVA. so It should be dry and ready for paint tomorrow.
Lastly for today here are the cars I have been using to gague distances. They were originally bough for 20p each at a boot fair last year and then repainted for a zombie car race game "DEADRACE 2010" which I never got round to finishing.