Tuesday 7 February 2012

Road Kill?

I have been talking via emails to Kev and Relfie (hi Guys) about the idea of a "Road Warrior" Mad Max type game. The idea has been floated at the club last year, and we tried a couple of games of "Car wars" (I used to play it about 20 years ago, but it was new to the others I think, or at least close to being "new" well new in a 25-30 year old kind of way. Not totally sure why we stopped playing but we moved onto other things pretty quickly. My personal view is that while I like Car wars it's had its day. Current games seem to be faster flowing possibly with interrupts and generally less complicated. So we are kind of on the look out for a good working set that's fast, furious and fun, without masses of charts tables and
 add ons. I did read the rules for "Axles and Alloys" last night but I am not convinced. Only being able to make one turn each movement seems very restrictive, but perhaps It might give a reason to drop speed in order to manoeuvre. I am not anti "Dark future" from Games Workshop, I have the rules and did start reading them before X mass but never finished. I don't think it would take too much to use them although I would need to create some kind of turning key/template and forget the grids that are on their tracks. Another option is OUTRIDER, which I came across this morning and know very little about. It is available here:

The two photos are of cars I have created for a post apocalypse mad max setting. The top is 28mm scale, created a while back and I don't think I ever used it. It gives the right feel. I would like to get some buggies but they are harder to get as a starting point to work from and then they would require more work to bring to a good gaming standard and if in the rules they are not as powerful as standard cars why would you bother, except for completion.

The second car is a "Matchbox" 20mm scale  with a penny for scale. I have started to add mods at this stage, but only extending the bumper and adding a couple of plastic tubes to the front to represent "Gun" ports. The second pic has all the window grills added and a tarpaulin tied to the roof. I have undercoated it and it should go to paint sometime soon. At that stage you should get a much better idea of what it looks like as it's quite hard to tell being all white, but maybe just maybe you can see something. No ideas what colours to do it yet and I probably won't until I sit at the paint table with it and am forced to make a decision. Starting from a white base I have the option of doing it yellow or orange, possibly pink. If those don't appeal then I can over paint in a darker colour I'll have to wait and see.At the same time as I undercoated the car I also undercoated some more 10mm dwarfs. This time dwarf warriors as they are the base troop type, even though I have only 1 pack at the moment. The army list says a minimum of 2 units so that's a future purchase but for now I need to whittle down the unpainted a little. Preferably BEFORE Cavalier I do hope to go but there is no guarantee of course and that includes the possibility of it getting snowed of like it did a few years back, but as we have a couple of weeks I'll not worry just yet.

I am using the weather as an excuse not to work up the shed, but I have checked and nothing has been damaged by the frost. And on the plus side we have a pair of blue tits looking like they may nest up there. If so it will be the 3rd year in a row so once they are settled I know I can work in the shed without disturbing them.

Lastly for today the Skaven Chaos Marines are coming along nicely and should have this batch finished by or over the weekend. That's all for now take care all.

5 comments:

  1. Gorkamorka was a great skirmish game there was a scenario that had 'rolling roads' type thing that you could try and perhaps modify?

    http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1340010_GorkaMorka_-_Da_Roolz.pdf

    http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1340011_GorkaMorka_-_Da_Uvver_Book.pdf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Gorkamorka, but was never a great fan, as a skirmish game I prefered Necromunda and as a car game I found it uninsiring however maybe I should have another look.

      Delete
    2. I was thinking more pinching the scenario out of it TBH and perhaps a few of the rules

      Delete
  2. http://wargamesunlimited.net/nolimits/index.html

    Try the no limits rules, with the road warriors extra (left side of screen) you dont need all of the no limits rules, but you need the basics. I too have had the Car Wars itch lately, but have also found the micro management of every aspect a bit to tedious.
    Good luck, the cars look great!
    Papa Spanky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments I'll check it out.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.