Tuesday 10 July 2012

Rough Langing!

As you can see I have finished my second objective marker for PBI. Slightly different from a wrecked tank we have a wrecked plane. This is an adapted "Academy" 1/144th scale P51 D Mustang. It looks like the pilot would have managed to walk away as it is not a total wreck, more a bad landing.. The whole marker was painted in acrylics an given a Satin Varnish. I can imagine a commander saying something like "When you come to the crashed airoplane, That's the town we need to take!" So it's not as literal an objective as a stack of crates or some barrels, but to me that's a good thing.



 The base does make it a little large for an objective marker, but it all adds to the battle field scenery. I could not tel you which squadron it is from as I just painted what I felt was correct rather than going 100% accurate. Therefore if it is not historically spot on I don't really care. I am sure there are those that do care about such things but as it's just an objective marker I am not one of those. To me it's just a spiffy bit of purposeful scenery.
The tufts are homemade from a wall papering brush they work quite well. Not as easy or as good as commercially bought tufts, but a whole lot cheaper. Sometimes you just have to try things to know how they will (or won't) work. The base is just plasticard (quite thick) wall filler and sand and then painted.

Well that's it for today. Most if not all the 15mm PBI stuff is finished now so on to something new in the next few days. As ever loads of ideas. Could well be some scenery as I seem to have been neglecting that recently and just painting. Or is could be something sitting on the paint table as we speak as there are about 20 figure on it half finished and waiting to get that final push. 

Anyway that's today's offering, more on Thursday. See you soon all the Best Clint.

12 comments:

  1. Excellent looking marker mate. Really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, it took a while but it got there in the end.

      How fast do you comment ? Within 3 minutes I think!

      Delete
  2. This looks pretty good!

    As an objective marker the size should not worry you that much. Only in tournaments are there strict rules about that. Friendly and fun games should hold no problems as it really stands out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed about size, but smaller would fit in the box better!!!

      Delete
  3. That's a great marker - landing gear failure? One lucky 'Stang pilot I reckon!

    Cheers,
    Doc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Failed landing gear is as good a back story as anything I can think off. Thanks for your input.

      Delete
  4. Looks great. As long as it looks right to you that is what counts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great, and I am only glad I have proof in forums that I was planning of doing this for my Vietnam game before you made your post.

    Cant be accused of copying you that way :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries mate. I was probly not the first and I'll not be the last to use a crashed plane as a marker.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.