Thursday 7 March 2013

What on Earth's going on with me?

That is of course a Rhetorical question! As according to the Psychologists I am currently working with I'm "quite Normal"! Yes it was a surprise to me as well.

What I am really saying is that I have changed my plans for the Broadside game for a third time. Let me explain. The first game was going to be WW1 East Africa, but I lost interest! The second game was going to be A Very British Civil War. I am still interested in doing this but at 20mm scale I can't see any way of making this a stand out game. We all go to shows and there is ALWAYS a 20mm WW2 game, some of them very good indeed. The problem would come from my point of view in making the terrain to the right standard in the time and with both my resources and budget and still have the game look sufficiently good to look like a show game, and not just a normal club game. So last week I informed my club that I just would not have it ready in time. I hated admitting defeat, but I was not going to stress myself out over my hobby, which I should be doing for fun and enjoyment. So we will still do some VBCW but as club games.

Given that time was running out and recognising what I could and could not achieve on my own with a limited budget and resources I have had a drastic re-think. Working from the terrain up I thought about what would be simple to make, Snow, Desert, Sea and Sky sprung to mind. I plumped for sea, as it would be the most versatile and it would not depend on "flying stands".

So seascapes it would be. The top picture shows my quick roughing out of the shoreline. There will be 2 shore line boards with landfall in only one corner. They are arranged such that they might marry up together should they need or remain separate as the situation dictates. The two double length boards (2'x4') will be left blank of any land masses but may have either an indication of shoals and shallows and maybe a free standing island but that is yet to be determined. Using a very old eclectic carving knife, don't use a new one you will get it blunt and will get an ear bashing. Car boot sales (garage sales or Flea markets) will start in this region very soon, about the end of the month and for a very modest fee I shall get a belter (sharper) one. Personally I find them great for shaping polystyrene and as long as you are sensible and always cut away from yourself there is little chance of danger. But just be careful and make sure there is no small things (2 or 4 legged) which are likely to distract you.

I find it easiest to cut the outline out first. Once this was done for both quarters it is a simple matter of angling the electric carving knife at successively lower angles to create the contours. With luck you should be able to discern that in the picture to the right. This is a very quick process but you must be careful where you hold the polystyrene as you don't want your fingers near a power tool specifically designed for cutting meat! Do not expect the cuts to be perfect or to exactly match your plan drawn on the boards. I will admit that I was over eager and had to re cut one quarter but this step does only take a few moments so if you have sufficient materials is no major setback. Once you are happy with the size and shape they were attached in place on the 2 small (2'x2') boards by PVA white wood glue. Regular readers will no doubt remember my fondness for PVA as it is technically a resin (ResinW should anyone really want to get pernicaty). This is where I have left them over night drying. I have placed a firm weight on their tops to hold them in place and to "force" the two surfaces together.

Ok that's the stage I am at with the terrain, but that is of course only part of the game. The rules we shall be using will be Blood Bilge and Iron Balls (BBIB) as I really do like these rules they have an eighties vibe to them and detail each ships capabilities as individuals. A second reason for using these rules is that I have contacted the published and have been informed that they would be willing top "Sponsor" the game. The sponsorship is to take the form of some free rule sets for the club as opposed to any financial incentives. As wargamers free sets of rules are never to be sniffed at so I am happy with that. I shall discuss figures at a later date as I am waiting for some ships to arrive.

 I hasten to reinforce the fact that VBCW is not dead in the water (no pun intended, but I'll take it). It will be an active club game, just not a show game.

That's it for today. Thanks for reading and if the weather and temperature holds I should get this finished in reasonable time. I must say I am quite excited by this change in direction and am looking forward to the next few stages. I hope you are having as good a day as myself. Talk to you later, all the best Clint!

8 comments:

  1. I don't know how it is with your area, but WBCW seems interesting to me, as it is happening around the interwar period, it's not your usual WWII. I do think you've made right choice by changing the game so you can do something special. And I believe the second benefit of your idea to go simple is that big wast white or blue boards (depends if its snow or sea, of course) should attract an eye, especially if done well. As for the sponsoring with rules instead of money...looks more friendly, its better for them and doesn't hurt you, how can it be a bad thing? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mathyoo I totally agree with everything you have said. And it will be a blue sea, I bought the paint yesterday.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your re-appraised new venture, buth ither than some form of naval game, What exactly is the period and the typeof action you're envisioning ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BBIB tends to concentrate on Napoleonic Naval engagements as a set of rules. But there is no reason that they would not work with earlier periods, like AWI for instance. So I will stick to 1800 ish for period. Again the rules can work from 1 ship a side, all the way up to Trafalgar. Battle of the Nile is one of the scenarios in the rules. I have played the rules but we have not done them as a club. So I shall start them very small and we'll work up until we find an exact number of ships that works with the numbers we have on the day.

      Delete
  3. Ahhh! There's nothing like positive, decisive, action. Making plans and sticing with thm. I'm glad I'm not the only one, although I was fairly sure I was not alone. Remember: "No plan sustains contact with the enemy." Good luck in your new project. (I've just embarked on a VCBW project.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't have a plan you don't know when it's either working, or not. And regrettably there are times when you have to cut your losses and move on. (Despite any reluctance to do so).

      Good luck with VBCW, it's a vibrant and interesting setting open to a lot of personal interpretation. I shall watch you blog with very much interest.

      Delete
  4. Hi Clint, I think you have made an inspired choice by going with Blood, Bilge and Iron Balls (BBIB). They really are great rules for a great game and written by a great guy too! Love the boards, really coming along nicely. Like the idea of patch painting, very effective. Wouldn't work for me being colour blind of course, wouldn't know where to end one patch and start the next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patch paining is simple, you tell where one patch starts and the next ends by tone of colour or viscosity of paint. So even a colour blind person could manage it without to much trouble.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.