Friday, 19 July 2013
Tarzan Board Update 2
Next came the tricky idea of a waterfall. As gamers we are always going to want to be able to move figures behind it. Running it straight down the plaster cliff would have been easier for sure, but easy was not in my vocabulary yesterday so a three D waterfall that figures could get behind sounded perfect. And so the idea is and that's the snag. Idea great reality is much harder to achieve. But I'm working on it! The idea is to take a 1.8mm thick strip of clear Perspex to act as the water flow. As you can see I have notched out a section of the cliff at the top which snuggly holds the Perspex in place at one end. I did try to notch the chip board bas at the other end but gave up very rapidly and now have a hole to fill and get smooth as it will represent water and no one like holes in their water! Obviously bare naked Perspex is not going to give the look and feel I want and while might look like a waterfall in abstract, will not do for what I want so there will need to be a lot more work on it.
To cut the perspex I simply used a "Stanley Knife" and a steel rule as I do not have any power tools that I can use that would not shatter the Perspex. Obviously that is not the ideal solution but given some time and effort it will work. Scoring and snapping works better if working on small sections but for a length of 12 inches It would in my experience be very likely to shatter. To get the bend I simply heated the Perspex with a paint stripper heat gun and bent it into shape. In order to get figures underneath along with the required hand to move them I have had to project the water out quite a long way. so I may go back and add some more rocks and cliff at the top section I will see how I feel later today or tomorrow.
And that is the problem with retro-fitting an idea. Still it is a very good idea and worth the effort I think. Despite the fact that I will probably have to remake the whole section of the cliff.
Elsewhere I have covered the polystyrene edges where the water will go to create a rock shelf . Not very clear in the picture, but at least it gives a clue. I have also created this rocky effect on one of the other edges which is not visible on the pics today but you will notice on the final reveal.
So that should give you an idea of where I am with this board and where I intend to make some adjustments. I will continue to move the board on as well as paint a few more figures for it. Talking of Figures I would like to say a public thanks to Michael at 28mmvictorianwarfare for furnishing me with a pair of 28mm crocs! One of which is on the paint table at the moment, the other is waiting to see how it's friend turns out! Two crocs on this size board is MORE than enough I would think and will definitely put bathers off!
Despite the fact that not a lot if showing, quite a bit of progress has been maid. I hope to have the start of the Villainous cast ready for Sunday so until then Take care keep cool and try to avoid sun-stroke! All the best Clint.