Sunday 1 September 2013

Pinkertons

The three figures are from the Artizan range of Wild West miniature. The actual pack was AWW025 Pinkerton Detectives 1. Each was a joy to paint and will suit any Western or Victorian game. Yes even a game with zombies werewolves and other such things that go bump in the night. The Out House is another building by Tim Wade at Frontline Wargaming. I am not sure if it is still available as he seems to has stopped producing his Western Buildings now that companies are producing laser cut wooden ones. Personally I think this is a same the resin ones do not require assembly and being heavier are less prone to movement on the table top (which should not happen but we all know it does!)

 Ok each in turn.

The first one is armed with a single pistol. I went for grey hair and bear as I wanted the figure to appear as a grizzeled veteran. There is a mended tear/rip in his duster on the right leg hinting that he would rather spend his money elsewhere than on fancy duds. And yet his grey bowler hat does appear new. Maybe either the coat is lucky or the hat is new and he would rather have town clothes than country clothes.  Whatever his story is I painted him with the name "Warm Leg Bob" in my mind as that is the name given to me by one of the players in my series of planned games in the Zombie Wild west!
 The next figure Not intended for the Weird West is one of the few figure I have for this period who is wearing spectacles. Rather than painting them black or blue I decided that red-pink was exactly the right colour. The rose tinted spectacles will help with the glare of the sun and give the figure a very specific character. Spurs can be seen below the brown duster and the '73 Winchester rifle makes me think he's been tracking down don heinous villains out in the old west. This is one of the joys of this period all the figures are very characterful and as you paint them you make your own story up as you go. Obviously who ever picks him up and commands the figure on the table can and probably will make up their own reasons for the clothes and armaments.

Lastly for today probably the figure I liked the most prior to painting. (Now of course I like them all). This detective has obviously spent some money on duds and gives the appearance of only wanting the best of things. The hat the coat the bow tie all look new and in good condition and while he also has spurs on the fact that he wars a monocle suggests he's more used to a civilised setting. Finishing his look is a gold watch chain and gold monocle chain which hopefully should make it look like his the most successful Pinkerton of the three.

That's it for today. As you can tell I have really enjoyed painting these three and I think they will add considerably to my growing Wild West setup. there are of course more to follow and with luck and a bit of work they should be ready for Tuesday's next blog post. So until them take care and have fun. All the best Clint.

25 comments:

  1. Hehe they are actually quite cool!

    Well painted mate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These guys are really cool figures and your joy in painting them is evident. Those coats/dusters are hard to paint and I like that you got a variety of colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. It is so different painting these compared to the 6mm figures of last week. I really enjoy painting dusters! It's nice to have an area to paint.

      Delete
  3. Yup compardre them sure is some fine figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly sheriff. If think with the bowler hats look like city folk from the east.

      Delete
  4. Great work Clint. and thats a great outhouse...surely lasercut terrain is quite popular now, but I think resin still isn't completely "out".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mathyoo. Resin is not out but Tim has stopped doing this particular range because it stopped selling.

      Delete
  5. Nice job Clint, Warm Leg Bob is an amusing name. I've been eying the two packs of Pinkertons for a Wildwest themed EotD Group.

    The last guy with the open duster is my favourite of the trio very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. I can only think that the name came about because he pissed himself! No reason they would not work for a Gentleman club type group in Europe or the West!

      Delete
  6. I love them, what a great job Clint! I might have to sneak those on the 'must have' list; a list that is never ending, I've noticed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sir. I have a similar list probably of equal length. I think most wargames do, at last those who talk about it.

      Delete
  7. Nice job, these are great figures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. Artizan do some cracking sculpts.

      Delete
  8. Another batch of great looking figs Clint.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice paintjobs, and I relaly like the use of backdrops for photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Adam. I like backdrops too gives more character/background than just a white screen. But each to their own and what I like others may strongly dislike!

      Delete
  10. I love these Pinkies mate, they have painted up well. I can see them walking down the street but in the first picture it looks like they are arresting the outhouse, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some real estate just can't be trusted. But I will say nothing about needing to make deposits! Thanks Peter. Something completely different tomorrow!

      Delete
  11. They're are great figures with loads of character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jo I like them a lot. Zombie gunfighters on the paint table this afternoon. Look out for them by the end of the week.

      Delete
  12. Clint, did you ever get to hear about a game called Deadland: Weird West? It was an RPG but a friend of mine has been working out a set of skirmish rules for the setting.

    That is, a better set than the Skirmish rules the company wrote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am aware of the game but have never played it. I am always interested in trying rules out. Kindly let your friend know if he wants a play-tester I'll volunteer.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.