Sunday 4 January 2015

It is all over now!

Firstly let me get my apologise out of the way. I am sorry this is a day late I just had real life get in the way and lost track of time.

This is the final turn of my first PPB Game and I will just write up the actions of the turn. Next weekend I will do a break down of what worked and what didn't. Victory points and a conclusion. So just hold on till then before offering congratulations and commiserations.

I also need to apologise to Lee as last turn I turned his ship the wrong way. Totally my fault as I turned it right instead of left that he ordered. It had no impact this turn but it so easily could have and Lee was very understanding and there was no speaking of walls and being lined up when the revolution came.

The turn sequence had the Spanish moving first and then the British shooting. This worked both for and against them.  Only one ship was able to shoot but it was sufficient in a David and Goliath way to make another ship strike it's colours.

So here is the final situation. It has taken nearly 6 moths to reach this outcome. And a really big thanks for all those that have followed it and more thanks to all the players for taking part each is very valued in their own way.





 Unicornico turns so that she has enough of the wind to move. While HMS Badger now back in British hands still does not have sufficient fighting crew to continue having struck its colours much earlier in the game. HMS Inconsistent (now in Spanish hands) is down to a single mast and in a bad way. But still able to sail.
 HMS Cutlass a frigate manages to get the only shot of the turn completely de-masts San Francis which can only turn AND does enough crew hits to render San Francis unable to carry on and she therefore strikes her colours. Just before she can fire back. (which would have hurt HMS Cutlass quite a lot).
 HMS Agamemnon Sails out of arc of fire and heads towards HMS Pachyderm and El Interceptor.
 Mecedes heads directly towards a shoal but is out of arc when Pachyderm gets the opportunity to fire so escapes this turn un harmed.
Captain Hadley sets himself up perfectly to Bow rake El Interceptor next turn. However El Interceptor is within one turn of escaping from the board with very little damage. So with all the Spanish ships of the line either escaped or captured and only two frigates and a prize left on the board I feel little choice in calling the game over.

Due to the damages and lost ships and of course prizes I have to acknowledge this as a MINOR British Victory. 4 or 5 weeks ago I would have thought it was going to be a Spanish Victory.

Well played everyone. I have had a blast sorting the game out and I will sum the game up next weekend.

All the best Clint

28 comments:

  1. Well done Clint. Go splice the main brace mate. You've earned it.
    Cheers, PD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sun is over the yard arm so I think I may have a beer for my tea!
      Thank you Peter. A pleasure to have you involved.

      Delete
  2. Nicely done sir.
    I've followed from the start and have been very much interested in how this would work. I'll certainly be taking something, from following your reports, into my own game, and I wish you well with your Zombie PBB game.
    Roy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roy. I learnt a lot as I went along. The main thing is that you have to be fair to all involved. And that is the best advice I could give anybody in wargames.

      Lots of ideas for zombies as I said it will be a LOT more roleplaying.

      Delete
  3. This looks like it has been a successful series Clint. I hope all of you enjoyed the experience. One of the best things to come out of it is that you didn't fall off the ladder taking pictures of the board :)

    I hope you doon't mind, but I made you a character in my MondayChallenge post :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very flattered to be a character in Mondays challenge post. You do know I am often mistaken for George Clooney don't you?

      Thanks Anne. No Ladder mishaps this time. And the zombie game will all be eye level as well. (Maybe a sat nave pic to begin with..... but only maybe).

      Delete
  4. I'm very surprised to see a British victory.

    I found the part of the game I played to be be a very enjoyable one, and look forward to reading your analysis next week.

    thank yu for all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really have had a blast. I think there may be more games as well. Not sure when yet give me a couple of months to get a new one sorted out.

      Thank you Sir It has been great having you involved.

      Delete
  5. A wonderful game and experience - very well done. I look forward to your follow post on what you thought worked well and didn't do so good.

    Thanks for all the hard work and dedication to keeping the game running

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure and with luck see you in the next one.

      Cheers Miles.

      Delete
  6. Its been great fun to play (and then watch!) the mad goings on, well done Clint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray another later in the year I think.

      Delete
  7. Excellent stuff mate, its been a very enjoyable game to play. Don't worry about the steering mishap last turn, I'm surprised it didn't happen more often with so many orders coming in every week...and it all worked out for the best in the end. I think everyone that has participated will agree this has been a smashing success and a gaming highlight of 2014.

    Like others I'm looking forward to your write up on the game, I would have sworn this was an outright Spanish victory just a few turns ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee.
      Praise indeed.
      5 Turns ago I thought It was a Spanish victory. But the tide turned in the battle and the British came through it. It was always hard to tell what a sensible player should do. Most of you were less predictable. If the Spanish had all pushed to get off the table they really could have made it. But the British players just kept tempting them enough to stay and fight.

      Delete
  8. Hurrah!.. I will settle for claiming a ship offline as a prize!..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have to argue that one out with Peter!

      Thanks Dave and Thanks for Playing.

      Delete
    2. I'll fight you fir it - frigates at musket shot!
      Peter

      Delete
  9. Well done you for putting this altogether, it has been great fun tracking the progress of our intrepid sailors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to put on a similar game later in the year if you are interested. So many ideas at this stage it really could be anything.

      Thank you Michael.

      Delete
  10. Well done Clint! You did a cracking job running that. It was great fun to watch the battle unfold every week. Double grog rations all round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bob. The feedback has been positive so I am pretty sure I'll do it again. in one form or another.

      Delete
  11. I've saved you a rather nice bottle of Jerez as a reward for your efforts sir. Of course it's sitting alongside my ship and I at the bottom of the ocean but you are most welcome to collect whenever you like!

    Thanks again mate, brilliant fun and a tribute to your dedication and good nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you. I had thought it might be in Australia and that would be much harder to get to than simply going up my cold dark lonely shed! I shall have a tipple tonight!

      Thanks for playing Millsy. With you involved it really did make the game cross the world.

      Delete
  12. The whole game was a lot of fun, I never played around with ships before so it was quite enjoyable to have a dip in something completely unknown. Well done for seeing it through until the end, Clint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mathyoo.
      It was a pleasure to have you involved even if you only had a frigate. I am sure I will be doing this type of thing again. But really do need a little break. I have you listed as playing the Zombie game starting in February, you should find an email about it waiting for you.

      Delete
  13. Clint, I'd just like to thank you from a followers perspective (as opposed to an actual player) as this clearly has taken a stellar effort on your part simply to post weekly for the past few months. I've been enormously entertained by what you've been posting and it is genuinely appreciated. Many thanks indeed... now does the next one start next weekend ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon that is a wonderful thing to hear.
      The next one (The Zombie One) starts first weekend in February. But I am having issues with it, perhaps it is too BIG! The next open one will probably be starting About July. (Very Approximately) . I need to talk to a figure manufacture first and maybe rewrite some rules. And I am hoping for a few more players. Not too many though.

      Delete
  14. ted baker uk sale work cheap hastily cheap ted baker dresses grab cheap hand said. cheap hearts of proud, laughing, on the surface, but a look of seriousness I always think that saving lives is that everyone should do, ted baker uk sale when ted baker uk sale others encounter difficulties and danger, when people need help cheap ted baker uk when I should ted baker uk sale bounden punch up to help them.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment.