Monday 6 April 2015

Leather stockings

Well a bit of a change. Only because I needed a break. But I can assure you there are some more 20mm Vietnam figures coming. And a shout out to Peter in the wargames club for giving me two die cast helicopters.

But today something a little different. While at the skirmish show you may remember I was given charge of some woodland Indians in a "Muskets and Tomahawks" game. I would have done well if I had not had quite so many Indians killed by my arch nemesis Graham.

So just for fun I painted up some 28mm "Redoubt" figures. They ready were a nice change of pace from the 20mm Vietnam stuff. AS I was compelled "Last of the Mohicans" By James Fenimore Cooper while at college and it at the time was a heinous chore of the greatest magnitude being as I am dyslexic and the book was not written in modern English. Anyway I was at least able to remember the Last of the Mohicans was not a stand alone book but was part of the "Leather stocking tales" which all tell the story of "Natty Bumppo" (Yes I know it sounds like a Hobbit name but is actually the name of the lead character) commonly caller Hawkeye.

So anyway I painted up 3 Indians just for fun. As you can see they all have warpaint and leather stockings as well! And carry a mixture of traditional native and European weapons. I bought them several years ago (about 12 I think) and they have finally made it as far as the painting table. I will be doing some more in the future and may eventually make an Iroquois or Abanaki war party for "Muskets and Tomahawks" but at this stage I must stress they were only painted for the joy of painting and not part of a plan.

Do not take that to mean I have no long-term plan for them as I do. But do not expect to see too many of these in the near future. (Famous last words).

There are problems with the Redoubt figures. They are slightly taller than most 28mm figures and sometimes they are not amazingly well sculpted, but for the price I think they are pretty hard to beat in that you can get 6 for £7.50 (+P&P). And I have found that they do paint up quite nicely so I may well pick up some more at the Salute show. Just another pack or two, not a whole tribe or force but just to be able to put a few units on the table for any future "Muskets and Tomahawks" Games.

Thanks for looking today. More (Vietnam) again soon, then maybe some more WW1 German Jaegers or Zulus or something completely different.

Enjoy the rest of Easter and take care and paint a few figures. I know I will.

Cheers Clint




24 comments:

  1. Nice looking figures and for that price a real bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see myself getting more at that price. I was just looking at their other figure ranges.
      Thank you Bryan.

      Delete
  2. Nice work Clint, they look the biz! So you may be using these for Donnybrook ah??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, "Donnybrook" is a possibility, as is "Songs of Drums and Shakos" as is "Muskets and Hola-hoops". (OK Tomahawks). I do like the setting and the forces involved but what rules is another question entirely!

      Delete
  3. Lovely colourful characters Clint, and I can see precisely why you'd paint such nice minis for fun. They're great. Yet another period I know nothing about yet I could get tempted with if you keep posting painted piccies about :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. I will do some more, but again just for fun. As a period I know VERY little about it. I want to know more and will watch "Last of the Mohicans" just to get me in the mood. But really I know nothing of the period.

      Delete
  4. Very nice Clint. Really liking the warpaint. A great period of history to game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. There is a "Romance" to the period and setting which appeals to me.

      Delete
  5. Nicely painted and based, Clint. I like the purple dyed frock coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, I think the next couple of shirts might need more of an unbleached linen look to them.

      Delete
  6. Nice figures Clint :)

    When I saw the title I thought that perhaps you were about to reveal yourself as a fetishist. Thank goodness you didn't! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One has to keep a few secrets. So don't tell anyone. I know you can keep mine for me.

      Yes a slightly risqué title but I was thinking Ray might be the one to comment
      Thanks Tamsin.

      Delete
  7. Lovely work there Clint and i think you have brought the figures to life. I have to admit a soft spot for the period and with wargames factory doing plastic woodland Indians I might dip my toe in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Petal. I still have some unpainted metal redoubt figures. So to save money I will work on them a little longer before parting with the hard earned.

      Delete
  8. Lovely job Clint Nice colour choices. I have the music playing in my head after reading this post. I am tempted to pick up some of the WGF plastics multi part kits to do some kit bashing with the survivors sets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indian survivors. No reason not to, maybe the white man has brought trouble to the res!

      Thanks Simon (AKA Brummie)

      Delete
  9. Woot! Real warriors! ;)
    A little leather to run through the brambles, some war paint to scare the Anglos, a warclub and knife ... Nice to see some proper fighters! ;)
    They look really good, Clint! The purple shirt is really nice too! Don't worry about the color much as my folk love bright colors and can still hide in the woods! ;)
    Most of the tribes used bleached/whitened attire for important ceremonies and celebrations. Like pure driven snow. Think of it as "Sunday best"! For war it was leather gaiters and moccasins used daily in hunting and such. The cloth was mended or replaced when worn out and usually the everyday cloth was a bright or rich color(s) the individual liked. Hope that helps!
    Now gather the lads and clout somebody with a club! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. Being a complete "Numty" I did take the colours from the Last of the Mohican film (without checking authenticity). It did stand to reason though than any race that had been deprived of "Unnatural" colours might well aspire to them. As you also see in some African countries.

      I am delighted that you approve and your comment alone might push me to do a few more sooner rather than later.

      Cheers Mate.

      Delete
  10. "Leather Stockings", not a term I'd heard before, but it'll be sure to attract a lot of hits (and probably all for the wrong reasons !)
    These are very nie sculpts, but a bit dated now imo and will probably now sadly get overlooked for the new plastics that are out there.
    PM has done very good paintwork on these, as always, but I'm really notsurprised that this period is once more in vogue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. I am not sure how these will fit with the current Plastics as some of the sizes may be an issue as these are slightly larger. But as I have no desire to get the plastics (at this stage) I will just keep shovelling lead in an attempt to lower the mountain.

      Wargaming really is like a stopped clock. Twice a day it gets the time right, and periods come and go from vogue quite quickly.

      Delete
  11. I always liked the Leatherstocking Tales, though some of them were hard going even for me (I'm not dyslexic). Also I have fond memories of TV series like "Hawkeye the Hunter" from my youth. At least, that's what I thought it was called, but I cannot find any such reference on Google :-( . Anyway, I was always a Delaware fan - damn those pesky Hurons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C6. My lecturer told me "Last of the Mohicans pretty much reads itself!" I am here to tell you that is not the case! I also Vaguely remember the TV series, and do think they should re-do it. Afterall how many times have they done Robin Hood for example.

      I shall now look for that TV series on Youtube, I remember it as being black and white so that dates us both.

      Thanks Mate I appreciate being reminded.

      Delete
    2. I recollect a TV series simple called "Last of the Mohicans" (maybe with Forest Tucker ?)

      Delete
    3. I think this is the one I recall, but I would have watched it as a re-run.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawkeye_and_the_Last_of_the_Mohicans

      1957 Lon Chaney! I really only just remember it though.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.