Thursday 29 October 2015

skirmish Sangin, game 2

Building on the success of the first game. I planned something a little larger. OK I used the 2nd scenario in the book.

In this scenario the British Paratroops are defending themselves from an ambush and the Taliban are attacking. WE each had a total of eight figures.










The terrain was very tight and excellent for close quarter battles. The problem was that I could only attack the British from certain very fight and congested directions. I am sure they found it just as tight as the medieval archer firing through an arrow slit of a castle.



 The game started and while I did spot and shoot first I hit nothing! Absolutely nothing! But James return fire was pin point accurate every spot mad and every shot not only hitting but a lethal wound.

This photo shows the last attacker on the south side . Out gunned out flanked and out of luck! Which is not to say he did not hit a British NCO. He did, but the armour saved the lucky fellow and despite failing his morale check (Needing 95% +) he fumbled it rolling the dreaded 00% So while he was down on the floor in a festal position wishing he was back in good old blighty his oppo Managed to plug my Taliban at short range in the open and with no cover.
 The last Taliban (a novice with rifle skill 0f 35%) tried to run of the board and escape back to base for tea and cake.


















James mercilessly took aim with his Light Support Weapon (LSW) on the roof top and gunned him down.

The game was all over in a single turn !

I could have played it differently in hind sight. But on the day I did not and they were all killed out right. No wounded, no prisoners each shot a killing blow and his dice were just too good. Young people and dice, they are just too good.

We both enjoyed the game though despite my white wash! And in real life the media probably would not tell of it at all. Unlike our previous game where I did inflict one kill.

My conclusions are the same as last time. The game works well and the rules are fine and younger the player the more deadly they are with the dice!

2 losses out of two games, but no intention of putting any of it on eBay!

16 comments:

  1. I love your setup Clint, the game looks v atmospheric and lots of fun to play. Totally agree with you on the young and their dice rolls grr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Gobbo. The terrain is quite versatile, the buildings have not changed since biblical times, Add Palm trees and it is the middle east as well. Several more plans for it.

      As for the young ability to roll dice I think by my age all the luck has rubbed off!

      Delete
  2. Wow, a single turn. At least you both enjoyed yourselves, and got to play with some cool looking models and terrain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy. Although a single turn there are 10 combat phases a turn but each figure can only act in 3 phases. So if I had said 10 phases it would have sounded longer!

      Delete
    2. Ah, I get you. I used to have a Naps set of rules that had a possible 4 phases in a turn (you rolled a D4 after each phase, aiming to not roll less than the number of the last phase, so making variable game lengths). So I can see what you mean.

      Delete
  3. Commiserations, Clint. There was little you could do against such a dice-wielding demon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. Naturally I do prefer to win, but I do not mind loosing when it is an even playing field.

      Delete
  4. Cool report Clint! Deadly weapons and dice indeed. Again, lovely looking terrain dude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. I was not going easy on him either. I was simply out gunned, out played and out of luck!

      Delete
  5. Great stuff - looking forward to reading your next AAR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr Dish Dash. I was not expecting a comment from the games company. I am quite flattered. You write a blog and have no idea who reads it. I will be taking the game and the set up down the club on Sunday so probably another AAR on Monday. At least 2 players want to play so worth it as far as I am concerned. I hope I can do your game justice.

      Delete
  6. Err, did I read that right? A complete whitewash in just a single turn? Clint, your (lack of) luck is astounding! Either that or your tactics really suck :-( ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C6. I think it may be a combination of both. My tactics were not good but when playing the Taliban I have learnt not to hang around or they call in an air strike on you.... and that really is not good for anyone!

      Delete
  7. You can at least commiserate with the knowledge that the good guys won and you had a game; you could also claim to have "let the kid win".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. I will be honest enough to say I did not "Let" him win he beat me fair and square. I will also say that armour makes a lot of difference. Don't leave home without it.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.