Thursday 23 June 2016

Cold War US M113

The Start of my US Forces: A 15mm Peter Pig Resin destroyed M113. The model can be found in the Vietnam range and costs £4. (Plus Postage unless you buy at shows.) Because it is in the Vietnam range the foliage and undergrowth are more tropical than I would expect in Europe out side some botanical gardens.  But Once you get over that hurdle the model is a joy. And if you do want a tropical  setting what else could be better.

I on the other hand do not want a tropical setting for my cold war wargames. which is why I have painted it in a snow camouflage. Well as I am calling this a Cold war Project I thought to paint it snowy.

The scenarios will not actually be based in Europe but in Alaska! Alaska did at one stage "Belong" to Russia, but was sold to the USA by a Tsar.

My Basic thinking for the games is to have the Russians take it back! This gives me all the cold war drama but without having to build European battle boards and terrain. I will go into the full details at a later date, but needless to say I will make both forces seem like they have a reasonable excuse to fight in this wilderness. It may be things like a mistake in the translation of the original agreement that is misinterpreted. Not so very important to wargames but it does give me a new setting for Cold war wargaming!

Anyway thanks for looking today and if you live in The UK do not forget to vote! Vote which ever way your heart/soul/mind decides. All the best Clint

13 comments:

  1. I like your thinking, Clint. Russia invading America via Alaska should make for a fascinating Cold War conflict. Lovely paintwork on your M113. The rusty bits are particularly well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. I know most of my club players will not give 2 hoots why they are fighting. But I do like just a little background.

      Delete
  2. Nice bit of kit indeed, I have the same myself but more a UN vehicle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You old boy. As I started with white undercoat I nearly went that route as well. But "coldwar" just seemed such a fitting title I had to .... well you know.

      Delete
  3. Nice vehicle Clint, I like a bit of background myself as I think it gets you into the game more and the scenarios start to spin off from there.

    Voting tonight definitely, making it a family outing as my youngest has just become eligible to vote, so glad she is appreciative of her hard fought right to do so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gobbo. I remember my first vote mostly because I did JURY service a week later!

      Delete
  4. This is a very interesting piece Clint, really well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. Many times in wargaming we either flip the vehicles onto its back or side or else put cotton wool on it to show it is destroyed so it is nice to occasionally have a piece that is already destroyed and we can swap out when the functioning one is no longer in the game.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Cheers David. Should post again on Saturday.

      Delete
  6. Great camo effect on this vehicle and I do like your idea for your 'cold war' conflict. Have you thought of setting it on some disputed island somehwere in the middle of the Bering sea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. The Coldwar idea is very open at the moment and an island my be a good solution.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.