Wednesday 9 August 2017

Mixed Bag

I have not had such a good week so far. But I am Ok and the Family are OK so it could have been FAR worse.

OKAY let us start with the Wargaming. As you Know I did play a Napoleonic game on the weekend. And as you will no doubt remember I aid I would help out painting up some 28mm French (as I had a box of Victrix models sitting about doing nothing. So here are the next 6, Making 9 in total. I am sure you can spot the difference. (I can easily)

Having played the game I do not feel the need to make any flag bearers officers or musicians. Maybe just some NCO chevrons on one in the next 3. Or maybe some flowers on the base. Just an indication that One figure is in charge.

You may note that the Blue is darker on the last 6 following your feedback last time. I have mixed them in so they start to blend.  3 |More figures to go and then that is a Unit done. And As I am not enjoying it I will then stop and call it quits for as long as I can. I really do not enjoy painting them.



Following the Game on Sunday I got to thinking.... always a dangerous thing! I do now have a set of Skirmish rules I do like. "Songs of Drums and Shako's". I also have a desert town in 20mm (My Afghan town) which does not see enough play. I think with a very very quick re-write and a very slight reimagining I can use these rules to play some "Beau Geste" or in the clubs way more likely to be "Carry on Follow that Camel!". I already have enough 20mm Arabs AND a(this was a secret but I am blabbing now) some 20mm French Foreign Legion. (FFL) and while the FFL are few in number being just samples and conversions I think I can have a show quality game (but played at the club) up and running within 2-3 weeks. 

Finally I am painting my Aeronef fleet (no nothing to show yet. ) The problem being I really do not like the stands at all. The plastic breaks in the holes FAR too easily and the stands wobble a LOT with bigger vessels. Therefore I need either to make my own stands OR find a viable alternative. At present I am looking at Resin block stands as they will have the weight I require with metal (wire) columns to support the vessels. If you have a better Idea I am all ears. The Stand shown was made by Tim of Frontline and does not come with the Wire, but that really is a small thing so at present I am not worried.

Thanks for looking today and with luck more again in a couple of days.

All the best Clint


14 comments:

  1. Good job on the French, especially if you aren't enjoying them. A game based on Carry On Follow That Camel, would be awesome.
    Sound's a great idea with the bases, that's how I base all my Flying models

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave, Although a Game would be MORE Beau Getse than a Carry on we all know that certain club members would make the comparison NO MATER what we did. So I am going with the flow!

      Delete
  2. Well it could be worse. Like me, you could have a friend's Yorkshire Terrier sat on your lap, head pinning your arm to your leg and meaning your typing on handed. Oh, and the dog snores and has gastric issues. I don't know if its a blessing or a curse that she favours me so!

    Top work finishing the French if you don't enjoy working on them. Most would have just given up long ago (me included). Best of luck resolving the aeronef issue, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them - painting-wise and gaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roy. Aeronef is not everyones cup of tea I am sure. However they are now painted, but not as yet varnished. And bases will/cannot be done for a few weeks.

      Delete
  3. Nice looking Nappies Clint, I know how you love the period!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray yes I love Nappies as you well know. No more need be said! (Hopefully no more Will be said!)

      Delete
  4. I love Carry on Follow that camel....

    Simpson: You mean all these ladies are the Sheikh's wives?
    Sgt. Nocker: Yes. What's so terrible about that?
    Simpson: Think, all those mothers in law!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. Best save up a few more quotes for when we have a battle. Just Undercoated the FFL this morning

      Delete
  5. Lots to see, enjoy and ponder with this posting, Clint. I'm a big fan of Naps, so its always good to see some of yours on show (even if they aren't your fave), and the Aeronerf stands issue is one I can truly sympathise with - having painted a British Fleet once before. Chin up though my friend, as you're still being productive despite your doubts, and that's always a win in my books :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. Shall we just say me and Nappy's are not best friends. The Aeronef will get there it is just the stands that will hold me up. (Now I am NOT going to rig them). And the FFL are at least Undercoated but there are only a hand ful so they will not take long.

      Delete
  6. Good call on the French - though the ones you have done do look good - no pointin painting stuff you don't enjoy when I'm sure you have a mountain of other things you could be painting (like all of us I reckon).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe I will do 3 more French just to finish the unit, but after that NAH!

      Apart from Bases the Aeronef Fleet is finished (Just a varnish really) so that will be shown tomorrow.

      There are only 7 French Foreign Legion and they all have some base colours on. When they get finished Japanese tanks I think. And some 15mm for Peter at the club... again only 8 figures unbased so pretty quick I HOPE

      Delete
  7. Your a braver man than me. I couldn't bring myself to paint Nappies. They are turning out great though so keep plugging away at the box and they'll be done in no time.

    I always hated flying bases with a passions for all the reasons you describe Metal rods and the bases you have sourced should do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. I agree "flying bases just are not good. BUT until another option presents itself we are all kind of stuck with them.

      As for the Naps 3 more and I will stop. and put the rest of the box on eBay I think.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.