Friday 17 November 2017

More BoB

Yes I know. I really do. Anyway here is a little more of the Back of Beyond force. This time it is a 76mm Artillery piece and crew. Now to me it does look larger than a 3" (76mm) cannon as the proportions seem wrong. However I assure you it is correct for the period. Larger pieces of artillery are not really suitable for a skirmish game. Yes they will work as objectives but are not suitable for use on the table IF you expect them to fire and hit anything on the table. As Such I am not expecting to buy any more, "ONE is enough!"

Needless to say it would take a lot of effort to drag this cannon up a slope so if/when it is used it will be towed by a lorry. (Lorries seen earlier posts).

It is another from IT Miniatures (LINK) and like my other BoB stuff all 20mm or 1/72scale. In the rules it has to ranges anything closer than 40 inches and anything beyond 40 inches. This is the kind of realistic thinking I like in games. The gun does come with a crew of 5 and five is a good number in games terms. Rate of fire decreases as crew are killed so best to keep it with as many crew as possible.

The gun shield is optional but I have included it to enhance the look only. In real life it did not offer much in the way of real protection more for crew morale than armour.

Well that is it for today. I did want to get more done (don't we all?) But alas real life got in the way. And rather than try to make excuses I am just happy that everything is OK now.

That's it. All the Best Clint

18 comments:

  1. Gun (and crew) look good to me. I like the gun shield and adds to the look of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathon. The gun shield was a last minute addition as I was not going to put it on. Yet it looked wrong without it!

      Delete
  2. More "BoB" is always good in my books, Clint, and these minis/great big gun, really look the business - great work :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kleric. I am really not sure how it will play on the table top, but anything which makes a game look more interesting is always a good thing in my books.

      Delete
  3. Great looking artillery piece Clint, like your approach to using in game terms, gives a realistic approach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. It is the rules. Makes sense to me. No point in giving a gun a game range in inches when in reality it can fire miles (and miles). So anything within 40 inches is short range anything else is long range.

      Delete
  4. Most impressive gun and crew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil. I think the gun look much bigger than the 3" it is supposed to be. But having checked the internet I think the scale is about right!

      Delete
  5. This is all coming along really well Clint - the infantry arrived, got their trucks, and now an artillery crew have turned up with their piece!
    Great stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Addict. Hmm I have almost run out of figures to paint for this. Probably put an order in next week and get the second force. Ideas are floating in the ether at present, but forming out of the nebulas thought pattern.

      Delete
  6. Great to see someheavy artillery, even it is maybe relegated to eye-candy on the table or an objective.
    Choice of colouring is impressive and I'm pleased you decided to go with the gun-shield too.
    All good stuff Clint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe. The gun looks bigger than it is. As a 76mm field gun it is not heavy artillery. (Which is not saying I want it to shoot at me) but given in the same period 203mm Artillery did exist it is now what I would call heavy artillery.

      Delete
  7. Another grand job on the gun. Its the first time I've seen this one built ( not even done one myself). I do agree for a 75mm it looks big but looking at photos of WW1 guns they all look big to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tim. Having looked at the artillery of the time it looks right. However seeing it with 21st century eyes it looks too large. Yes research shows it is not.

      Delete
  8. That looks ace Clint! Very nice work on that monster of a gun and its crewmen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. As I keep saying it is only a 76mm gun but looks massive. Not that it matters, in the rules on table artillery is all about the same.

      Delete
  9. Very handy for blowing big holes in fortress walls I should think. You need an armoured train now. Or maybe a plane? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackaman. I think I may need an opposing force first. However I have been thinking about adding a rail track to the scenery. I may need to make another 2 or maybe 3 terrain boards. As for planes, bear with me. As for forts... again already have my thinking hat on.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.