Tuesday 21 November 2017

Theoden LotR 28mm GW

Yes as promised I have finally painted King Théoden. He has waited patiently on the painting table, No doubt detained by Grima Wormtongue, who clearly has stopped me from painting him.  But now painted he is and ready to lead on the table top.

Unlike the film, I have mounted him on a dappled grey horse and not a pure white (yeah I know white horses are called grey!) horse as portrayed in the films. This is no issue for me as surely a King may have more than one horse.

It is funny now painted I see all the mistakes clearly, but NO I will not point them out to you on this blog. But I can see them Oh so very clearly. Still moving on!

the figure is by Games workshop in the Lord of the rings range. I am not sure if they are still in production but I will be getting them on eBay for about 1/3rd the shop price. So as  Far as I am concerned an absolute winner. Some things are still not cheap though so take that advice with a pinch of salt.

As many of you will know I am looking to play "Songs of Blades and Heroes!"  In a Lord of the Rings setting. And he will clearly bolster my Rohirim forces. (which are pitifully small).

Painting wise. Mostly painted in acrylics as you would expect but with gold highlights in POSTER paint. This is because I struggle to find a good gold acrylic paint. As a result only the VERY top layer is poster and then it is varnished with a spray varnish within 30 mins. If the poster is not applied at the very last stage it simply comes off. Also if any colours are painted after wards in adjacent areas it bleeds into them as it mixes with the water. As a consequence I rarely use it. So this single pot has lasted about 20 years. So if you so use any Poster paint on models use it with care.

That's it for today. Take care all and have as much fun as you can without upsetting any one else!



22 comments:

  1. Very nice Theoden Clint, like your choice of colours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. I tried to go for realistic colours in a fantasy world (if that makes any sense). But I did worry that too much red and green might look too much like a Christmas tree!

      Delete
  2. Great work on Theoden, Clint and great to hear you're combining "LoTR" with ""Songs of Blades and Heroes"; a match made in heaven imho. Looking forward to seeing your Rohirim forces grow - what's the opposition going to be? Isengard or Mordor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. Firstly no promise that it will be Rohirim at all. I will set it in the Nan Anduin Valley So most factions will fit. 2 Players (potential players I should say) have gotten back to me and one has said anything BUT NOT ELVES, the other has said Urik Hai.... so st this stage it could be anything. From my point of view Just paint 1 a week if I can and see what that leaves!

      Delete
  3. Smashing work Clint and I love the dappled grey effect on the horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael. Dappled grey horses are quite tricky to make look right I find so I tend to shy away from them. So I really appreciate your comment.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Adam. I feel drawn to the darkest side possible for the next LotR figure, so probably an Orc

      Delete
  5. excellent job Clint! one of my fave characters in the Rohan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andy. I feel either a foot of mounted evil one next time..... ah I know ... This one is undercoated.

      Delete
  6. All Hail Theoden King!
    Nice work Clint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul. He has sat n the waiting table long enough.

      Delete
  7. Great work Clint - Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn. Forth, Eorlingas!
    Looking forward to more of your Middle Earth mini's :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Addict. There will be more to come as put bluntly I am enjoying painting LotR figures.

      I think an orc next though.

      Delete
  8. Good looking figure and painted with your usual panache - not one for me though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe it would be a very dull hobby if we all liked the same things. One man's meat is another man's poison!

      Delete
  9. When you are ready lets see how good he is against my Urik-hi pikes. Yes I throw down the gauntlet still with the hand in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tim I suspect I will need to ref rather than play. I also know I would need MANY more to take of you Uriks!

      Delete
  10. Looking good Clint. I love the Rohan range that GW did some of my favourite looking human fantasy characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon I quite agree. Next Lord of the rings figure for me will be an Orc standard though

      Delete
  11. Nicely presented Clint
    And it reminds me that I really should watch LotR again. (I read the books once, but they didn't really do it for me. I preferred The Hobbit, tbh)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy. I need to watch LotR again as well. I much prefer Lord of the Rings to the Hobbit but each to their own. In my case It may come down to which I read first (which was LotR).

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.