Saturday 9 December 2017

LotR Orc Dol Guldur banner

Yes I know I really do the banner should be red and black according to the books. Trust me I Know. But I am sure you will all forgive me, black and red just looked wrong on the model.  And I do not believe Orcs would really care too much at all so the banner has turned out Pink and Brown! Purists will no doubt be going up the wall. But who cares, not I!

After all if you are trying to accurately portray Fantasy there is something wrong somewhere.

So Just another orc probably for Dol Guldur. Which as we all know is the lair of the Necromancer (Sauron) in the second age. Yep the nasty bit in the Nan anduin Valley close to Mirkwood which even in the later part of the third age was shunned!

Like all Tolkien Orcs he is "black skinned" as all Orcs should be. This Green skin rubbish is GW through and through! Likewise all clothing and armour is dirty, rusty and shabby. This is not to say that Orcs cannot be fine craftsmen only that they don't care about aesthetics very much! And there is much to be said for that outlook if you believe that Form follows function.

Other than this orc I have been busy in real life. All Crimbo pressies are now bought and wrapped. Even those that I have had to get for myself. Not that I am getting much for myself and let's be honest I dare not let my sister pick anything for me. Heaven only knows what she would get! As she always buys everything on Christmas eve! yeah and you try finding a decent pressie then with no for planning. She is getting better though and being fair I suspect those days are now long past.

So this week I treated myself to the Mad max Computer game. It arrived yesterday and I am still loading it as I type this. In addition I bought a toy car from Wilko's for the princely sum of £1. While I have started my last BoB figures (when I say last I mean Last for now, already planning more).

So everything is pretty much back on course! Unless of course you know differently!

Have a good weekend, all the best Clint

 




18 comments:

  1. Great posting with which to start the weekend, Clint. I think the banner looks terrific personally, and its good to see the "Mad Max" mood is going strong :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blax. yes I am well and truly gripped by Mad Max. ( I always have been). As for the Banner I like it and so do my colour blind Orcs.

      Delete
  2. Great looking orc Clint, with the colour choices if your happy that's all that matters.
    Computer game looks fun, and great find on the car

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave Not as yet sure about the game. Time will tell. And yes I like the banner nothing wrong with brown at all.

      Delete
  3. A lovely change of pace Clint and I think the banner works perfectly well in your chosen colour scheme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael, I do wonder if it looks like it has been washed too many times and the colours faded. But the end of the day I do not care.

      Delete
    2. That was what I thought, although with Orcs it's more likely to be exposure to the elements than washing!

      Delete
    3. Thank you Gavin. I do agree it is far more likely to be "weathered" and Faded than washed to death. Perhaps My comment was trying to ge pleasant rather than unpleasant as I am sure we have all had items that have lost colour in the wash, but we may not have all had items so exposed to the elements that they have faded.

      Delete
  4. I want to see your car, not its box. I presume you're busy working on converting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan. The car will be along next week I am sure. (Barring accidents). And yes the conversion has started.

      I will talk to the club tomorrow though. I already know some will want the game in 28mm. But if I crumble only time will tell.

      Delete
  5. Hmmm...

    "After all if you are trying to accurately portray Fantasy there is something wrong somewhere."

    and then...

    "Like all Tolkien Orcs he is "black skinned" as all Orcs should be."

    Having a bet each way are we Clint? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael. I fear you may be right. yet somehow I agree strongly with both of these statements. Other orcs I have seen painted Red, yellow, purple and blue. And more power to the artist.

      Delete
  6. Well at least I can recognise an "Old School" ork when I seee one, despite my aversion to same! Good paintjob and I did wonder how anyone can "accurately portray fntasy", it reminded me of a quote by a wargamer "You can't do that in the 23rd Century" - both make me chuckle.
    Have fun with the MAd max game, it's not one I'll be playing but I was intrigued by the car and could have done with a better picture of it to see if it's worth my while going to Wilkos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe. The car is part way though the conversion so I did not want to "spoil" any surprises but at least you know where I got it and how much it cost.

      Having spoken to the club today I will say a few things. We have a BOB game now scheduled for 7th January. It will be a trial and we will see how it all goes.

      When it comes to gaslands I will stick to 2mm dinky/matchbox size cars at least for now.

      However I will paint some 28mm cars and convert them for a dieselpunk gangster game.

      You have been warned!

      Delete
  7. The banner looks just fine to me.

    I think it's perfectly acceptable to try to replicate what is described in Tolkien, or what is portrayed in film, or in fan art or in any other source - if that's what you want. But the detail is often incomplete and we need to use our imaginations to extrapolate. Bottom line: if you have a justification for however you've finished *your* model then who else has any right to argue with you about it :-) ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you C6. We all know the reality is that someone will point out any small inconsistancies at the earliest opportunity.

      And for the record I am very happy with it and will not be changing it. I do like to get things correct Though so I am willing to poit out what should have happened on my own figures.

      Delete
  8. Great fig Clint - love your original take on it and the eye icon looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul. I am not sure how many Orcs would go for it but .... well who cares what Orcs think?

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.