Monday 23 July 2018

Side-tracked WIP

Yes I have been side-tracked! I make no excuses, NONE what so ever. I was feeling a bit "Blar!" due to the weather and decided to treat myself. So I purchased 2 of the shown rule books. (I already hade "Dragons Rampant").

Tim at the club has recently been talking about 15mm Aztecs. So I looked into that first. Aztecs and Conquistadors are made by a few companies. However only "Eureka" as far as I could see make any other figures suitable. ( So no Mayans, Mixotec Zapotec, Amazonians etc in 15mm UNLESS In wanted to ship them from the other side of the planet!) As they was an expensive option I decided to pass!

So I bought the rules!

My next dilemma was to get Knights in armour in 20mm.  I checked and other than soft plastics I was also out of luck! I wanted 20mm as that was the scale of my desert villages! I tried Newline design and while they have biblical which were tempting I wanted Knights in armour! I asked around the wargames club and very nearly purchased some soft plastics but would not have felt content so:

Again no such luck!

Finally I remembered from my youth a GW Bretonian army! Now I grant you for a GW  army it is not huge! But for "Lion Rampant" I should be able to put a few units together! (At least 5 maybe more)

So I have started to rip apart my suitable Bretonian terrain (very little... ok only this watch-tower) and have started to convert it to a more crusades type setting.

Yes it will need a repaint of course! But more than just a repaint It will need the whole of the lower section remade! Not as many Lakes and marshes in the desert as Bretonia! And NO need for  an arm coming out of a lake!


 In the coming weeks I hope to get the lower section finished with a gateway a stables and walkways all around! Krack Cervalier it will never be, nor does it have pretentions of being. Just a simple tower in the desert suitable for a few games!

I shall have to buils some 28mm desert dwellings as well. (But not too many) as well as some other bits and bobs.

So now you know what I am working on in spare time . Peter  wants me to paint some Vampires for him, and Matt wants some aeronef so when I am not doing those at least you have an idea what is happening.

If I get my act together next post will be some more 6mm sci fi!

Until then, take care paint and try not to get heat stroke!

All the best Clintr

12 comments:

  1. Good call on choosing the old GW Bretonian figures for your knights. Also, a good idea to reuse your old terrain. I still have a large Bretonian army as I always liked them so I'll be following your progress with interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan. I only have a small Bretonian army I cannot say it was ever large. Smaller yet once I take the unicorns and Pegasus out! (Not sure what the plural is for Pegasus)

      Delete
  2. Great repurposing Clint, both models and scenery, look forward to seeing the project develop inbetween painting for others, and coping with this heat !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. I am sure you mean NOT coping with the heat. But I agree IF I can stay focused it should be a good and enjoyable project!

      Delete
  3. I do love a good side track and this looks very interesting. Curious to hear what you think of Outremer when you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael. I have not yet read either set of rules so I had as yet best not make any comments. But I do like the idea of having both a skirmish set and a small (4-6 unit) battle set. I am hoping I shall be able to use them both!

      Delete
  4. Getting sidetracked is one of the joys of the hobby imho, Clint, so enjoy its impulsive enthusiasm and see where it takes you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Blax. I am sure I would have more enthusiasm if it were less hot and I had time to indulge. But that is hardly realistic in the short term.

      Delete
  5. Ah, reatil therapy = nothing beats it!
    I'm a great fan of re-using items, whether it's terrain or figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe. I quite like the idea but I am aware that certain club members will want to go 3-7 times as large on each battle! So I am ready for the megalomaniacs to fill my head with doubt!

      Delete
  6. Hi Clint. Can't beat reading new rulebooks for inspiration mind. Have you looked at Fighting 15s UK based company that imports Eureka stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. Yes I have looked at fighting 15's . But for me too expensive. we are still talking £4.65 for 8 15mm figures plus postage. And now I have thought it through 28mm old Bretonians is a better option as I know I shall not have half the club complaining about the figure size!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.