Friday 1 February 2013

Kra Vak SPGs

Just for a break from VBCW stuff. Here are two Kra Vak Heavy Grav Self-propelled Guns. The are By Ground Zero Games and 15mm in scale. (Scale seems odd to mention when dealing with Aliens, because they could be any size really.) GZG Code No: V15 33A. They come with guns elevated at about 35-40 degree pitch. I thought they looked better near horizontal so after about 5 minutes of filing on each one made that adjustment. I must say the look a lot meaner and nastier with level guns. It took me ages to decide on a paint scheme as I was looking to make them more "alien" but in the end settled on a basic single colour top deck and from below with a heavy was an some very rough dry brushing. The problem was I was over thinking the need for colour differences and in the end decided that simple and straightforward beat clever and fussy!
You can see the blue under side which was again a very simple one colour wash and Highlight. It's not fancy but it is at least a nod to the fact that they are gravatic flying machines. Other than my modification the modelled went together very easily and with hardly any mold lines or flash to worry about. So all in all I'm quite happy with the construction of them. Being metal they are heavy which does make me wonder about the strength of the flight stands so I have selected my 2 shortest stands to assist the rigidity, although in my head I am still sure they will break.  Ahh well time will tell.
I have no markings on these beasts. Which is to say that maybe I have but maybe they are not discernible by our eyes. The Kra Vaks seem very adept with Gravity vehicles so perhaps the markings are made with different densities of materials as opposed to colours. They are aliens so who can say (Well maybe Jon Tuffney the designer!) What I d like about them is the "Boxy" hard edged feel to them. Very angular and aggressive.
Two from above just to show a different view and the very solid feel these vehicles have. In retrospect I should have put something to show how big they are, well maybe next time. At this stage I have one mo Kra Vak vehicle to assemble and paint (an APC) but this is not even near the paint table at present. Then It will be to expand the force with more ground-pounding infantry,  some power armour and a few more APC's . At this stage I can't see me doing so before September as it is not really on my target list for projects this year (it was last years and I did not manage it). Still it does bring the Kra Vak force a little closer to completion which is never a bad thing.
 
That's today's blog post. I'll be getting a new computer over the weekend (with this one the wheel is spinning but the hamster is dead). so no guarantee but I will try to post again on Sunday, So until Sunday have a great time and all the best.Clint
 
 
 
 
 

12 comments:

  1. They are nice, I do like the blue it almost makes it look as if its glowing energy that holding it up in the air if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do know what you mean. I had not thought of that at all. But I do like the reasoning. Cheers Mate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice job Clint. Good luck with the new PC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. Fiongers crossed (windows 8.... nuff said)

      Delete
  4. Good bodging and outcome Clint, nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff indeed there Clint, I love Jon's stuff at GZG, (I did some of the illustrations for Stargrunt II and Dirtside II). I like the desert colour and the blue underside

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent stuff Pk. I really like Stargrunt. Not as yet tried Dirtside though..... Once More Cheers PK.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They do look the part of alien craft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mate. I think we can both thank Jon Tuffney for that.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.