Wednesday 24 September 2014

15mm Colonial Sudan game.

The Port where the boat would dock
 and the British could leave the board!
While at Skirmish Tim "Frontline" Wade put on a colonial Sudan game.
The idea of the game was for the British players (Bob and Myself) to rescue the British forces and get them on the boat down river and back to good old blighty! The Mahdi players (Peter and Graham) had vastly different ideas! The British would be under Egyptian officers to begin with (until our own chaps arrived by boat) which game them a command and leadership value of 7. The Mahdi had a leadership of 8 for his officers. To make it more tricky we had no officers at all out in the desert where our forces were so they were not allowed to make their way back to the port UNTIL they had received orders to do so.

To make matters worse these British and Egyptian troops had limited ammunition.

The Egyptians got one chance to fire

Before they got swamped!
The Marhdist troops rolled 15 dice in close combat
The Egyptian rolled 4.
I think you can guess the result.
The relief column hampered by bad command dice
 had not made it far from the town
before the advanced Mahdi forces got close
so they formed square.
These Camalry die very quickly but do stop the
British from moving!

The boat arrives!

Egyptian Cavalry totally chew up one Mahdi unit!
Get a follow through charge.
chew up a second unit and
then badly fail (I rolled 2d6 and got 3) their morale
 and left the board!

Oh dear the Mahdi's troops destroy my thorn bush barricade
and souround the British! Gulp!
 

I dock the boat in the wrong area at first.
My mistake!
I re-docked the boat the following turn where it was not
vulnerable to the newly arrived Mahdi reinforcements.
Like they really needed more!
 

The troops sent out to get the British back get attacked on 3 sides.
And die gloriously for the Queen!
Allowing the Egyptian cavalry to get back into the town.

With now no British to pick up the boat sails.
and Leaves the town to it's fate.
Conclusion:
It was a good day to be a Madhist. I can't really say too much more. Bob and myself were really playing the game and it felt like we had our hands tied behind our backs. Shooting was not effective in any way. Morale and leadership values were too low. The Sudanese got a lot of reinforcements while we got very few. Yes we had a nice boat to play with and I could have taken the naval landing party ashore. But as they has worse stats than the British Army I was reluctant to do that. As I had seen just how fast they could die.

But it was enjoyable and I must say it did look very good. And the enjoyment is the important thing!

Thanks for reading today. I should have some painted figures for the next post.
Take care all and see you soon.
Cheers Clint

16 comments:

  1. Impressive - I really like the Steamer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miles. The Steamer was built by Tim and is designed be used in both ACW and colonial.it is mostly made from balsa wood and card.

      Delete
  2. Well at least you enjoyed the game..................I think????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes but we realised that we (The British ) could not win from turn 2 . But it was a good game despite being told that we could not just turn the boat around and go home. Thank you Ray

      Delete
  3. Very impressive, love this village and the steamer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil. The village is available from FRONTLINE WARGAMES, the steamer is not I am afraid.

      Delete
  4. Hmmm, limited ammunition, no officers, barricades that are hardly worthy of the name...do I detect a set-up ?
    Sounds like frustratingly good fun all the same

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. The Umpire was totally impartial and unbiased. and he told me I should put that in any report! Seriously I think he was but we knew we had lost since the end of turn 2.

      Delete
  5. What a cracking setup. That riverboat is superb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a gatling gun or two would have been useful...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would have been useful. To be fair there was one on the boat, but by the time it arrived and it had been dismounted moved and then set up it again it would have been far to little too late. But a nice thought. Thank you C6

      Delete
  7. You can't win them all Clint, as you said enjoyment is the important thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Bob the winner is the one who has the most fun.
      Thank you.

      Delete
  8. Haha, do you ever win anything? No wonder I like you so much - I never win my games either.

    At least the game looks great, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I never win anything. Well very rarely. Thank you Mathyoo.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.