Wednesday 19 November 2014

M106

Yes I continue to re-paint my 1/300th scale stuff from about 25 years ago. Today being the M106 mortar carriers. These are M113's but carrying 120mm mortars which provide close support on a battle field with what we consider heavy mortars. The advantage clearly is that they can carry some ammunition as well as move without the need to set up each time. Thus it makes a "Shoot and Scoot" tactical doctrine far more possible.

As Mathyoo wanted something to scale these figures I have included a neon ball point pen in the foreground of the first picture. With luck this should give him and everyone else an idea of just how small we are talking with regard to this scale. As you can see 6 finished in total which should be more than enough for a game. If you are struggling to see them I would remind you that they are camouflaged.

I have finished a few other vehicles as well but not sufficient to make up a full unit of anything else. So I will continue today to expand these up and with luck another unit will come to fruition before too long. I am enjoying these as they are a small and easy thing to complete in a day (The bases take MORE TIME THAN THE VEHICLES).

Thanks for looking and with luck more of the same on Friday.

All the best Clint

Post script: I have been struggling to get an "Anti Hero" for the Analogue Painting challenge . For me the definition of an "Anti Hero" is very vague . A hero that is flawed. But surely everyone on the planet has some character flaw.

If not I have yet to meet them.

 So It needs to be a flaw that the author (or Tv/Film Company) highlight. It seems to me that another author might not think of this flaw as a flaw at all.  Or that things we once thought of as a flaw such as being Gay (in the 60's), or owning slaves (if you were a Roman)  Might not be a flaw at all but more a response to the times we and they would live in. I hope this explains my dilemma in selecting an "Anti Hero".  But I have at last ordered one and I hope it will be with me shortly. Is it an "Anti Hero" that's up to you to decide I think.

Semi Rant over!

Cheers Guys.

18 comments:

  1. Lovely armour and I shouldn't worry about the anti hero, if you think the miniature selected is appropriate then it fits the bill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to submit Fu Manchu but Curt has said that is a Villain and not an Anti-hero. His competition so his rules. So no complaints and I now have a choice of 3 Anti-heroes.
      Thank you Michael.

      Delete
  2. Nice painting.

    I've painted some armour in that scale so am all too aware of the challenge required to paint them.

    As to the Challenge - I did struggle with the figure for "an anti-hero, rogue or person of dubious character" as well. But in the end spotted a mini' that could be used, after a suitable backstory was created for him. I'm using the Foundry (freebie) Perry-sculpted knight, and am inventing a suitable biography based upon his choice of headwear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roy. I have a choice of 3 different anti heroes in the post at the moment. I just need to see how large one of them is first. (I think it's too small but would be a great anti-hero)

      Delete
  3. Wow! Seeing the ballpoint for scale really shows how small they are. How on earth do you not only paint something that small but make it look so good.
    Amazing job Clint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bob. I trust the sculptor. I just paint the base colours and then give it all a black ink was. I have some Gepard AA guns and son Man trucks on the table at the moment. Expect then soon.

      Delete
  4. Clint, I can well believe you when you say it takes longer to paint the bases than it does to paint the vehicles. You put a lot of effort into them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan. It's just that I know what I want them to look like.

      Delete
  5. Very cool AFVs, and nice basing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for putting the pen in for scale as I had no idea how small they were. You did a masterful job of painting the camouflage on them. And to do bases that small, so well is impressive.

    For my Anti-Hero I'm getting Guy FawKes dressed in modern garb. it's part of a kicstarter, so I hope they deliver on time. If not, I've no ideas at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne.
      My second option for an Anti Hero is Kung Fu Panda! If he is not a flawed hero then my name is Archibald! yes I have found a figure for him as well.

      Delete
  7. These are well up to your usual high standard and your camo obviously works against your bases- great additions to your forces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To me Riddick is an anti-hero....like me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fran. Really appreciate the comment. I have 3 options now for the anti hero. 2 funny and 1 serious. But all very different.

      Delete
  9. I'm struggling with all the bonus rounds to be honest??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. I have decided not to enter the bonus rounds at all. For me they were a distraction from the painting last year. So for me all my points will be "the hard way" Meaning no bonus rounds and no bonus points.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.