Thursday 6 August 2015

Paddy Fields (Part 1)

It does not happen often but this morning I awoke and felt like making terrain. And as I am working on my 20mm Vietnam Conflict collection (I even sent for shinnies and Plastics yesterday) it made sense to me to think about terrain for that. As I already own enough jungle foliage and village huts the next thing was going to be some Paddy fields. These should be easy! Yeah famous last words I know it and yet I keep telling myself! One day I may believe the truth before it hits me up the head...

 So I found a spare piece of board, in this case 6mm MDF (Medium Density Fibreboard). Yes I know it's a little think for what I need and hardboard would be better yet it was quick to source and easy to work (There's that "Easy" word again!)
 So I marked out what I wanted with regard to Field shape. Settling on 3 or 4 (depends how you picky you are about counting) sizes and shapes. I spent a happy 35 minutes up the shed with a jigsaw.
Then rounded of the corners and sanded them smooth and removed any bumps to create the basic field shapes. I do realise that these will be proud on the table top and that real water does not do that, but for gaming purposes these will be flooded fields and should represent the terrain and as long as people are not stupid ( I will be running a book on the first person to comment) they should serve.

There are of course a few more steps to go but the basic roughing out of field shapes is now done. While at this stage they are fairly regular each field being separate they can be arranged in less than regular patterns to represent the flooded paddy fields of a small hamlet! The joy is that once made they should be OK for all scales from 10mm-28mm.

That's it for today as my Vietnam project gets a little bit closer to complete!

Thanks For looking and Painted figures on Saturday.

Cheers Guys.

14 comments:

  1. I'm very interested to see how you tackle this build, Clint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy, so am I! It should be very straight forward but you just know something will go wrong!

      Delete
  2. It really is good to see you making terrain again, Clint. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. I know I should make more but enthusiasm is not all that high!

      Delete
  3. Good luck with this build Clint, I'll be following with interest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be a simple straight forward build. Fingers Crossed.
      Thank you Joe.

      Delete
  4. I've not seen these done before Clint, so I've no idea how you go about doing the water effects on them. I'll be interested to see how they turn out. Hope it all goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne I hope it goes smoothly as well but I expect there will be a hick-up along the way. There usually is.

      Delete
  5. Really interested to see how these turn out, certainly off to a promising start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael, It has moved on a bit as they have all been sanded now! It does not look like much has been done, but it takes a time!

      Delete
  6. Great start Clint! Very interesting build, looking forward to see how you proceed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. Paddy fields are pretty synonymous with Vietnam so I think I need some. (And maybe some elephant grass!)

      Delete
  7. Great Start Clint. They will look good when completed.I am going to have to remove your blog and re add it or something as for some reason this week I have been fairly on top of the blogs I follow yet I seemed to of not seen 3 posts in my feed again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Brummie. But Windows 10 is making blogging much harder for me!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.