Sunday 28 August 2016

You can moan BUT......i don't mean it!

Yes and I do! Moan that is. I dislike painting 10mm Zulus! But when they are done I am happy with them. At this point I think I have about 250-300 left to paint! It is not that they are bad sculpts just that the colours are  very limited and it does tend to get boring painting them. But as I said Once painted and based they look very acceptable gaming pieces. And that is what they are for.

 I will be using the Black powder rules,  just for convenience they do work OK but the MGs and Cannon are underpowered in Colonial settings.  All my opponents and myself have found that if you form square with cannon on a corner all the tribes head straight ior the cannon and destroy the square like a hot knife through butter  , which is not what happened in reality! Still I will over come that I am sure.

Anyway these figures are 10mm Newline Design Zulus with headdress. 28 figures in all (there should be 30 but 2 have fallen under a wardrobe and at some point will need recapturing from their escape bid!)

That's it for today, enjoy the bank Holiday while I start to prep some figures for Matt....

Cheers Guys have a good one!

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. They should be in action in February if my plans work out!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Roger. I will be doing some 10mm Zulus (and other things for the analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge this year.

      Delete
  3. The detail you've managed to get on these little guys is terrific, Clint. Wonderful little warparty imho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. When you see pack after pack of them unpainted it is daunting, but when finished they start to look like a fighting force.

      Delete
  4. Great choice of scale for Zulus Clint, this way you can have "thousands of 'em"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. I do know people who have 6mm Zulu armies BUT they put less figures on bigger bases. So as I really do like 10mm figures this seemed to be the best choice. You can literally have hundreds of them (if NOT THOUSANDS!)

      Delete
  5. Looking good.

    Going back a post (or two?), Infantry charging Cavalry: This didn't happen in, what was, my second game of 'Ancients' (although it was Medieval, really). Though that might have something to do with the fact there wasn't any mounted troops used in the game. It was War of the Roses with lots of infantry and a couple of artillery pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy. In reality, if Infantry do charge Cavalry the Cavalry do manage to ride away! or more likely charge the Infantry which would be disordered. So best rules writers just say Infantry cannot charge Cavalry!

      As for war of the roses I have never played a game with much cavalry partially as there are so many archers

      Delete
    2. Don't I know about those archers ... They made my artillerymen run away!

      Delete
  6. Nice work Clint...tempted to do the Zulu wars myself but in 6mm. Problem is Postie has a collection that would make your eyes water it's so big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lee. I would steer clear of 6mm Zulus, JUST because as you point out POSTIE has that covered.

      What about 6mm Sudan? Posties British will work just as well for that so you only have to worry about Egyptians or mahdists. Just a thought

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you Michael. When I get another batch or maybe 2 batches done I will do a group shot, I think that is when we will know if the effect works!

      Delete
  8. These are great Clint (despite your moaning and dislike of painting them, you still manage to get great deal of detail on them) - en masse they're going to look great.

    [On the Infantry v cavalry debate, I still haven't come up with any examples, but at Minden the British Infantry advanced on the French Cavalry - who them charged them only to be repelled (by I imagine the infantry then standing to meet them)]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. I promise I will do a group shot of them BEFORE Christmas.

      As for the Cavalry vs Infantry. I am sure in history it would have happened at least once. But is still so incredibly rare that in a game it should not be allowed. Or maybe it is allowed IF the Infantry can roll )) on d100 after they decide to do it.

      It just should be so very very rare (less than 1%) and there should be a penalty if they fail!

      Delete
  9. Very nice work as always Clint.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment.