Monday 29 May 2017

IT WW2 Volkstrum 20mm

And just for a change here are some 20mm Volkstrum (Late war German home guard). I painted theses for Tim at the wargames club who has purchased the moulds etc. of the WW2 IT Miniatures range.

Here is a link to his web site and where they can be bought.  (Click this link to travel to web site )

At the end of the war Germany was short of troops. As such it recruited from the old, the young and the less than fit. Additionally it did not always supply the Volkstum with full uniforms.  Some were supplied and at other locations some uniforms were not. Tim asked me to have these mostly in civvies clothes and also on urban city bases. Consiquently a lot of brown and greys resulted.

These figures would also make very good partisans or even useful for the Jewish revolt in Warsaw.  In fact that strikes me as a very good game idea loads and loads of close terrain and maybe even a captured Hetzer!

The molds are old and the sculpts show it. Not in the casting I have honestly had worse from GW or foundry, but in the 2 dimensionality of the sculpts.  Which is to say that while there is nothing much wrong with the sculpts they are by no means as anatomically correct as current sculpts.

So if you are looking for Volkstrum or partisans or want to do the Jewish revolt. These may well be the figures for you.


The armbands can of course be repainted to represent a different faction. No point having German armbands if playing another faction so the simple swap of colour and you are good to go.

The WW2 IT MINIATURES figure range is quite large. and figures can be ordered seperatly which does allow for quite a variation of troops so perhaps if you have a look you might find what you are looking for.

Having never seen a game of the Jewish revolt and also KNOWING that Tim looks at my blog it is perhaps a show game for the future. I shall just leave the idea open and see if he comes back to me.

That is it for today thanks for looking and with any luck the thunderstorms did not keep you awake all last night.

Just a final note.

I had a game of Shako at the club yesterday and was completely out played. So well done Matt and I am NEVER playing Shako ever again.... JK

Matt played well and soundly beat me. I have no excuses but I will complain about it for ever more

Nice one mate.

Or I won and was brilliant, the most awesome tabletop general ever. (MY nose may be growing as I type this but it is true none the less.)

I will let you decide which is the correct story. Hee hee.

Catch you all later Clint




18 comments:

  1. A most unusual group of figures that I never knew existed, either in miniature form or in real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. There really is so much I know nothing about. I console myself that I just cannot know everything. Even if I would want to!

      Delete
  2. Whenever I think of IT Miniatures its the WW1 range that comes to mind. Just gone through the webstore catalogue and was surprised that there was as much variety of WW2 on offer as there is available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roy. I have just sent an order of to Stu to pick up at Braodside! (Mostly Paint)

      Yes the IT range is quite extensive. I have found that there is NO 8th Army though.... and I am sure If I look further there will be other gaps as well, BUT overall it is quite large.

      Delete
    2. I'm popping over to see Stuart tomorrow, all things being well. Then I'll see him at two local shows next month, too.

      Back to IT Miniatures, it Africa themed figures I was looking at as well. Though WW1 in my case. The Maasai and various Askari caught my eye as from the look of them they could be used for the earlier East African colonial period and a bit of what-if scenarios.

      Delete
    3. I have painted up some Askari. They paint quite well. You will have to look back on this blog a long way though.

      Stu replied very quickly and I know he will have all I want in stock.

      I will email you direct. Warning INCOMMING!

      Delete
    4. Received the email. Thanks Clint.

      Delete
  3. Great looking figures now I just need a reason to use them ;)

    USE not sue! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat I deleted your previous comment. (Just looks neater)

      The figures are Ok but they are not modern sculpts which you will see if you get any.

      Delete
  4. Great work on those. A range of figures that you don't see much of these days.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pete. Tim has recently bought the moulds and he is selling them from now on. So it is possible they may be seen far more frequently now.

      I must find a set of rule I like for platoon action in the Warsaw uprising.

      Delete
  5. These are very interesting Clint, I had not heard of the range before and will certainly be going to have a closer look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Michael. The more I think about it the Warsaw uprising might make a very suitable show game. Not the normal WW2 and hardly ever played out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting these photos and for painting the figs. Going through the moulds I have noted some sculps are better than others and the Russian and Panzer Grenadiers are different again, possibly done by another sculpter. A good honest review and seems to have stirred up some interest Thanks my friend. Tim

    p.s as your co- general in the naps game we didn't lose we let them win the bad dice rolls and poor tactics were just a ruse. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tim. Seriously have a think about the Warsaw uprising using these figures.

      As for the Napoleonic's my armies are on eBay already! JK

      Delete
  8. Despite your reservations over the quality of the sculps, they're neverheless very serviceable and I doubt there are many other options.
    Great looking bunch f figures though, they've painted up well and are obviously civvies, so well done Clint.
    Cpngratulations on playins a game (win or lose).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe. No no no It was most definitely a win very decisive. Honest (crosses fingers and looks skyward).

      The figures are not bad, they are not perfect at all but they woill do very well for either partisans or Volkstrum (Peoples Storm). And as mentioned if doing the Warsaw uprising they would be perfect.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.