Tuesday 15 August 2017

LVT4's

NO not the bath-tub of doom! These re 2 Landing vehicle Tracked (Mk4) Know as LVT 4's, if you are American and the "Buffalo" if you are British. Either name is fine by me.

They are 15mm vehicles for my US forces, while they were also used a little by the British (and Commonwealth) they were not heavily used in Europe . But they did see action in the Pacific.

 These have been VERY badly cast with bits missing and air bubbles and mold slips and just about everything wrong you can imagine. But they were cheap on eBay I think someone tried to start casting from another make and just did not know what they were doing.  Ok Moan over, as I said they were cheap and for that I can forgive a lot. I will not use the seller again though. Americans being well American did give them between 2 and 4 machine guns which are not included. Also the MGs could be either .50 cal or .30 cal depending I think on the stock and how many were to be used. That does not matter.

In real life they could transport up to 28 men or a jeep or artillery piece or supplies or well just about anything from ship to shore. In PBI "Carriers" no matter how large can carry 4 infantry stands, so a squad, not a platoon. So an agreement needs to be made (which I have made) with normal players on using them. For me they will mostly be acting as troop deployment markers and not actual fighting vehicles. As PBI works in squares thy will (Temporarily) make the beach square Partial cover and allow troops to deploy in their square and the 1 on either side (Which will NOT get the cover bonus.)

Being just green with tracks and weathering they were an easy paint and both done and based and put away in an evening with no issues, complaints or squabbles. While not super useful they do round out the US amphibious capability in some WW2 games.

below is a Youtube clip of the LVT4 in action (from a film/TV series) just for those NOT familiar with the vehicle. And if anyone wants to know what to get me as a gift a real one would be most welcome. Colours and MG configuration could and were changed to suit the need

 Or here is a real life on in a separate clip

24 comments:

  1. These look great Clint, and very interesting background pieces

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. I am not sure but I think they were used in the crossing of the Rhine and in beaches in Italy. If they were it is nothing to how many were used in the Pacific. Being able to carry 28men is like getting a whole PLATOON on the beaches in one go. But needless to say if they sank that would also be a whole platoon lost.

      Delete
  2. I loved your history lesson, Clint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan. Better I think to show clips which people may remember than to waffle on with to much intellectual stuff. Just to say they were also Known as "AMTRACs" and some did have turrets as well, just to make it more varied and yes I will be painting some of them as well.... but not yet a while.

      Delete
  3. They might have had casting faults, but you've turned them out really well Clint - and the idea of using them as deployment markers is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Addict. The Alligators might see some action but these I see as just markers. It makes beach assault games more feasible. And we all want some beach assault games don't we? (well I do anyway)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin, The one I have not painted has a 6-7mm hole in the back door/loading ramp. So that one will requite some work to get right.... It will probably get a turret (Stuart Turret) which will I hope cover the bad casting . Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  5. I remember the AIfix version of these vehicles, but quickly realised that a fair number would be needed to look 'right'.
    I do think that despite the apparent problems you've had with these, they've turned out really well (I suspect that they're home-casts).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe I also STRONGLY suspect they are home cast. I will have some commercial Amtracs mixed in as well so the impact will be minimal with any blemishes.

      Delete
  6. Very nice, I've been tempted to get some of these to do a Rhine crossing project. My Grandfather drove them in March '45 taking the Highland Division over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you James. I thought they were used in the Rhine Crossing but was not sure. These though are destined for my Island war project. (Pacific)

      Delete
    2. At that time 33rd Armoured Brigade had swapped their shermans for these, and were part of 79th Armoured Division. 11th RTR had them as well. All taking part in Operation Plunder, as well as DD Shermans and other interesting amphib stuff.

      Delete
    3. Thank you James I am delighted to have it confirmed. While at present my interest is the Pacific every bit of knowledge is useful eventually even if I cannot use it instantly.

      Delete
  7. Terrific post, Clint. Your background history lessons are always riveting, and some nice work on the vehicles too. Always a pleasure stopping by to visit this blog to learn something new :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. They are a little different and hardly seen on the wargames table but very useful none the less. Not everyone's cup of tea but I like the whole Idea.

      Delete
  8. These look fab. I am considering getting some 28mm ones for my Gi Joe gaming If I can't find any other suitable vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brummie. Theer are so many things that would also fit your GI JOE project. And while I d not know I would not be surprised to see these in MDF at 28mm, they are after all quite box like.

      Delete
  9. What a curious beast, I don't think I had ever seen one of those before. Great job on your Clint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael. I have more odd WW2 things to come. All of which I can use in a game. As wargamers I think we all like things that are a little odd. I know I do.

      Delete
  10. Weird looking beasts aren't they, love the vids though mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andy. Currently painting some Japanese Tanklettes. (Or Tankettes depends who you talk to.) Now they are weird! Expect them in a few days.

      Delete
  11. They don't look too bad painted up after your description.🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. I will admit they were pretty rough. (One Unpainted still is ,actually the worst of the lot) But they came out OK in the end. They could have come out better IF I had spent more time on them, but the truth to admit is I just could not be bothered. If they were well cast I am sure I would have.

      More Pacific stuff in a few days.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.