Thursday 17 August 2017

Terrain (6mm SCi Fi)

 Ok I will confess I do not usually put Work In Progress (WIP) pics on the blog. But the things I were painting have had issues. So I will probably finish them tonight and blog them Saturday, ahead of the club on Sunday. While they are not actually needed for the club on Sunday they may well get an outing anyway.

But today I thought I would share some small 6mm sci fi terrain.  These are home made and not painted just yet. I may talk about painting later, there may well be a change of plan/direction afoot! (NO NOT a new project).

These are very simple. Just table-tennis balls cut in half and stuck on an MDF base. Then I went around them with some spare green-stuff to give them some texture. The connectors are just plastic 3/4 tube (again that I had spare) butted up to the tennis balls or on separate bases.  Very simple, very quick very easy. No big deal.

I went for some VERY simple buildings just because at this scale making things hard for yourself is just a waste of time and effort.  As I see as much if not more of the complex as being underground this is all I really need at this stage. The very simple design lets it fit all terrain and is only dictated by how I paint them. As I do not want to make trees I am thinking of either a desert or Ice planet. Ice planet was my first choice but since then I have started to tidy up my 20year(+) desert boards so I may paint all the Ice planet forces as desert forces. Just o I do not need to get the terrain done for an Ice world.

Hopefully I will get the thing I was painted finished for tonight/tomorrow morning. If so More Pacific WW2 will be shown next. If not I may have to wait until Monday and a club AAR.
Thanks for looking more soon.... I HOPE

18 comments:

  1. some great versatile terrain Clint, terrain that can be used for more than one use is always useful. Understand making them desert to fit existing terrain makes perfect sense

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave It all depends on the paint job. They might be desert or moonscape or Ice planet. Anything which stops me making VERY small trees.

      Delete
  2. Simple but effective and I'm sure they'll look great with a lick of paint, whatever terrain you decide to use them for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan. I am edging towards desert. Okay that means I re paint an army, but easier than starting terrain from scratch (not with regard to these, but the other terrain).

      Delete
  3. Love them. So elegant in their simplicity and they so look the sci-fi-dome-building part. Basing them on MDF rounds caps it all off a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roy. They are really easy to do. Any detail can be painted on very easily. Quick easy and cheap terrain. And should be strong enough until someone stands on them!!!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Tamsin. Simple and easy, well worth having a go if you ever get 10 mins to your self.

      Delete
  5. Terrific stuff, Clint. They immediately made me think of "Logan's Run" :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. I should (barring accidents,) get some 15mm WW2 done for Saturday.

      Delete
  6. Looks perfect for a domed habitation in almost any climate. Good job bud ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andy. yes it is a bit "Buckmaster Fuller" But it should be versatile enough for me at present.

      Delete
  7. Yeah they look good. Could you not just add some tufts as large plants it is sci fi so anything goes really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. It is still a work in progress so no foliage to be added at this juncture. Maybe if I choose the correct setting vegetation would be the right thing to do.

      Tomorrow Japanese WW2 stuff! (All done now and varnished, photographed and put in a box, all ready for a battle!)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you Joe. So simple anyone could do them

      Delete
  9. Simple but effective. Nice work mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carl. I want to keep the dome structure look but I feel the need to expand the varieties a bit.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.