Monday 22 January 2018

Yesterdays game at the club.....

At the club there were 3 games, a large "Shako" a small "Dirtside!" and a small "Chain of command." As I had things to do I left early and did not join in any game. I know I would have been welcome at any of the games and did indeed have offers yet somehow I declined and still returned home full of enthusiasm. How on earth did that happen!

I am only going to look at one game, as many will know I am not a Napoleonic's fan so you may have already guessed it is not that. I returned home feeling enthused by the "Chain of Command!" game.  The ONLY problem is the guys playing tend to buy everything on eBay already painted ad sell it a few months later. Which gives anyone a very short window of opportunity to get involved.


Battlefield BEFORE
Any Patrol arrives.
Also while at the club Peter gave me these two kits. ! FT 17 and one Ford truck both in 1/72nd scale and both for my BoB or Back of Beyond collection so I am very grateful. The tank only had 7 pieces so was very quickly stuck together and is already in the painting queue. Thanks Pete They are bother Brilliant.

Back to the game:

Firstly I like "Chain of Command!" I know it is not everyone's taste but I like it and it is for me. WE had an encounter patrol of Germans attacking (Kevin) and British (Relfie) defending.

British occupy the building and set up the Bren team on over watch.
While Relfie takes the area close to camera
Kev develops a 75mm Infantry gun in the corner of the walled area
back of picture.














Germans Hustle into another building and fire is exchanged.
Relfie by now occupies 2 buildings
and kev 1 a wood and a walled field and the building shown above.



















Germans continue to press forward
However Concentrated fire from 2 positions
force the Germans in the wood
to fail morale check and retreat and eventually unable to rally in time
the Lmg team flees.
 












 
By the time I leave it is not looking good for the Germans.
Relfie uses his 2" mortar to drop smoke on the Infantry gun
which severely limits what it can see and shoot at.
Kevs unit in the walled field fails to close the distance and is shot at close range.
british Morale is 11 at this stage and German has dropped due to losses to 3

 




















 So as I leave it is not looking good for the Germans.  I suspect an English win but one can never be sure. the British light mortar was out of HE rounds and was in retreat. Both the buildings and the wooded area had taken casualties while Kevs Unit in the building was still pristine. But as the Platoon was now on low morale very little would be needed to break morale.

From what I have seen of the rules I do like them and feel I need to dust of my 28mm ww2 figures.

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like a decent ruleset then. Dust of your figs and have a crack :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. I will wait and see what happens this week. I may get some Diesel punk stuff done instead.

      Delete
  2. Don't be tempted !
    Get another Bob game in and try out your latest two (very generous) additions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe the FT 17 is now started so expect to see it very soon. Just I suspect a couple of days.

      Delete
  3. Wow! I'd put that down as a really good day Clint.
    The two kits are excellent additions to your BoB collection, the Chain Of Command game looked interesting (I've got the Lardies "I Ain't Been Shot Mum" WW2 rules), and you got some modelling done :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Addict. The modelling was minimal, there were only 7 pieces. Like all rules some are better than others. Chain of command I think is one of the best from Lard Island. I feel I should rake out my old figures and maybe have a go.

      Delete
  4. That must have made your day getting those two unexpected presents. Good for you, mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan. Yes it did and I am very grateful. Likewise I have a gift for peter, a reading book I have finished that I think he will like. Small gift true but one I am sure he will also appreciate.

      Delete
  5. "I am not a Napoleonic's fan so you may have already guessed it is not that" - Boo, Hiss ;-) Lovely little posting, Clint, and I'd be very excited to see you dusting off some minis for Chain of Command. great pressies too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Blax. Me and Nappys are shall we say NOT the best of friends. Maybe with the right set of rules that might change. BUT so far I am not impressed.
      The pressies are great though.

      Delete
  6. Have we seen your 28's on the blog Clint? Let's have a sneak preview anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray. The answer is that they were painted LONG before I had a blog so no they have not been seen here at all. I must admit I am a better painter now as well. Which is not saying they are bad just that now a dayz I am a little better.

      Delete
  7. Nice little unexpected haul Clint, even though you didn't play any of the games it seems some peeked your interest more than others

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. You are right. I plan to show the FT 17 tomorrow (assuming I finish it today). Also some of the games (NOT the Nappy game though) have me interested and looking at old figures in a new light.

      Delete
  8. Keep meaning to try the rules rather than bolt action but need to find somebody who has a copy 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. Never tried Bolt Action so I cannot compare them properly. I can say 2 members of the club who have tried them both heve never played Bolt action again. BUT that is a personal choice and I am sure you will find as many who prefer the Warlord rules.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.