Thursday, 3 May 2018

Faith and Trust and some going backwards

Original board
But finally going forwards. It is easier to start again sometimes and yet sometimes we have a spark in the original that makes us stick with it. After a sleepless night I decided to strip the original board down and use what I could so with a panel saw and a hammer I saw the initial work destroyed. Not wanting to sound either cynical or complacent I knew it was not up to it and I knew I could do better.

Theerfore the new board will be 3 foot square and on several (not sure yet 0 levels. This is what |I have decided so far.

It is Important to recall that most wargames boards are FLAT! I just did not want that. This board is to represent a hidden "Canyon" perhaps packed with mysteries. As such I dismantled the back wall of the original board. It as would the other pieces not be free standingand thus be able to be moved into different board positions. As such I created a separate base and back for it. This allowed me to address the straight board edge and instead go for something slightly more natural looking. Noy perfect but working with the materials at hand.

 Creating an L shaped (in section) base also allowed me to enhance the cave areas and incorporate the caves onto the boards. The cave as seen to the right is embryonic at this stage and as such does need a LOT of work. But now at least I have a framework to work with.  You can see on the bottom right a second cave area drawn out but not implemented. Several attempts at planning and only one out come. That is the way of it.

From the side it is a total mess and some level of faith in my ability is needed sometimes it is lacking as I am filed with self doubt.
I do use a variety of different polystyrenes mostly to get a variety of thicknesses to try to create a more natural feel. It does not always work.

 To be honest Sometimes I need to walk away and come back a day or a week later. Then when you do you kind of guaranteed that you will either not have the time or the weather will be dreadful but eventually you find you can overcome these issues and move to the next stage.

And this is the next stage. I mixed up filler from Wilkos and using it coated some bandages.. I will know later today if these have dried out sufficiently well. Early indications are that they have. If so I can and will move on to the next stage over the weekend. .

By the way if I have not mentioned it I hope-plan to have this all (3 foot board) finished by February and shall enjoy blogging each step be they forward steps or backwards steps.

I thought to do this as a beak from painting Tanks. but be waned there are more of those coming. With luck I also plan on getting some Victorian Science fiction done as well.

Until Sunday when I plan to post again, take care and paint if you feel like it
all the best Clit

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Lee. 3' square. So not that big. But reasonable involved I think and lots of getting it wrong before it finally goes right.

      Delete
  2. This is such an ambitious project and, to be honest, is not something I would want to tackle. As such, I wish you every success with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan. I know I can do this. Maybe not as well as I want. But I can do it. I am sure it will look good in the end. All projects go through what I can the "Nasty stage" and that is just where this is at the moment.

      Delete
  3. Wow... keep it going Clint. Its all sounding/looking good so far, so push through that 'nasty' stage :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. The plaster I put on should be dry by tonight. Then we will asses it again. I know it is slowly coming together and as long as I persevere it will come out well in the end.

      Delete
  4. It's funny how projects can hit stumbling blocks, and then we hit the light bulb moment and go why didn't I think of that before, keep at it mate, it has all the makings of an epic board with so many levels of gaming to it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. I started this thinking Ice age, but that idea has slipped by the by. Buying more Plaster tomorrow and maybe some of you "Plague shrooms!" But that will wait a while, maybe even till next year.

      Delete
  5. Viewing these photographs has been very interesting Clint. Hopefully it'll come together as you plan, or near-enough. Either way, as I'm very sure you know, its sometimes very useful just to crack on and make something, even if the end result is just to learn how not to do something for the next time. Best of luck with the build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roy. I am sure it will turn out well in the end. Maybe not as Intend it at this stage, but well none the less.

      Delete
  6. Good luck mate, ambitious plans get great rewards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andy already moved on since these photos were taken

      Delete
  7. This is turning into a monster build, but keep going Clint, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael. the "Monster" build is even bigger in my head!

      Delete
  8. I'm following this project with great interest in how you move through each stage. I think I'd have not even started with the plaster , polystyrene etc. as I'd still be at the design stage and I do tend to over-think most tasks I take on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe. Like everything it goes through changes. In my head I know what I want it to be and will work towards that. I know I should draw (literally) it all out but this way I know from experience works for me. If I try to follow an exact plan I will ever stick to it and this way it is finished when I say it is. I know as I type that it is the wrong method but I also know this way will keep me "Semi" sane as I will not fret about it going wrong.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.