Thursday 21 June 2018

3 different things

I have no excuse I get side tracked by the world cup! Certain of you I can hear "Tutting" as I type this. But here at least is what I have done!

Firstly some barrels. These are 28mm Ainsty Castings ( http://www.ainsty-castings.co.uk/) Find them in the Cargo Hold section if ordering online or just ask Andy is a nice guy and worth a chat if you see him at a show.)

I went for a VERY simple paint job. Simply gun metal followed by a Black wash. This should make them useable from about 1910 on to sci fi! Stuck them on MDF Bases, as you can see 4 on one base and 2 on another. It was either this or have them run around loose and risk loosing them.

So a quick and easy thing to get going with. No problems and easy to do an quickly managed and all done and dusted and very versatile.






Now at times I can be dense. (I know who you are and I can see you nodding!) At the Broadside show on the flea market there was 2 guys selling off some old "Snapdragon Studios" Castings. I can honestly say I wish I had purchased more from them, These 2 cost me £2 unpainted and they wee the only 2 of these they had. As far as I know Snapdragon only produced in 2 scales, 6mm and 28mm. That does not at all bother me as I do intend to use these as power generators on my 15mm sci fi boards! (See later). But with nothing to Scale them against and being science fiction how would you ever know!

In Retrospect I should have put something on to scale these. Oh well live and learn, (In my case sleep and forget it all). But I am very happy  with these and as hinted at they are without scale so could be used in any sci fi scale. Shame you just cannot get snapdragon any moae I used to really like them but could never afford to buy much.


Lastly for today! I hyad a little think and it has occurred to me that I might be better using my "Moon" Boards as and "Any-scale" sci fi terrain. Yes I know I am slow if off the mark and most of you would have thought of this before!


The conclusion of this epiphany is that I shall now need to repaint my 1/300th scale sci fi stuff from Ice Planet to desert planet! There fore here are 3 Civilian vehicles (Painted red so as not to be at all camouflaged). I started painting them red as they were going on an Ice planet and I did want them to stand out! But as it turns out bright red works almost as well for a desert planet! Lots more (2 armies) to do for these but at least I now have a start and can continue at my leisure..

That's it for today. I hope to have more on Saturday until then, take care paint if you can. All the best Clint




12 comments:

  1. Quality posting, Clint (as all of yours are tbh) with plenty on show for the wargaming fan. Love the generators, and those moon vehicles are awesome too - remind me of the old early sci-fi flicks for some reason :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Blax. I agree the vehicles do have a touch of Jerry Anderson to them, and that is not a bad thing! As for "Snapdragon" it is a shasme they are no longer in production but I do have 2 more items to paint up from them so expect them in a week or 2.

      Delete
  2. I do like your barrels and generators. Very useful for many games, I'd imagine. Making your Moon board usable for multiple scales is a no-brainer. Good call!

    PS, that sound of tutting you can hear is from me! Watching sport - any sport - is my idea of Hell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Thank you Bryan. I could imagine you tutting but I doubt you are the only one. As for making the Moon multi scaled I am slow on the up take sometimes. It was actually designed for 28mm s but can of course be any scale!

      Delete
  3. Love the beer kegs, (though I have seen Lemonade ones too!), but there use is fairly modern, replacing the old wooden barrels as the 20th Century rumbled on).
    I do like your ;generators (ahem) too, but they be used for just about anything in a Sci fi Setting I'm guessing
    As I never really knew what scle your crater boards were aimed at (your 15mms always seemed as good as my 28mms) so using them for 6mms too is a great idea.
    (And you won't find me tutting about the World Cup as I'm glued to it - Hobby stuff gets done occassionally between games!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe. I do pick and choose the games I watch. Nothing I want to see today for example.

      The kegs were just so easy and had been hanging around for a few years I am glad to have them done at last. I agree about the generators very versatile any sci fi game no matter what the scle will find a use for them. (And spy-fy as well)

      Delete
  4. Nice work on the terrain....little and often is good. As to the football if I must I will watch it in the background on my iPad whilst painting 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt. I shall try to get some painting done today, nothing too strenuous though.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you lee. Just for that groaner I shall endeavour to play a game where the dastardly rejects are trying to make off with some lemonade!

      Delete
  6. What a great eclectic selection Clint, everything from scatter scenery to static scenery and vehicles to boot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. Just started re-painting the 6mm sci fi stuff..... things are going slowly. But they are at least getting done.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.