Sunday 12 August 2018

Repair, Repaint, Re-touch, Re-use!

Today I have been looking at my old Bretonians. I have come to the startling realisation that I can use so many as a Lion Rampant base for an army! YES I know it is not all a straight swap. My Grail knights on Pegussi (Not sure how to spell the plural of Pegasus ) for example cannot be used! And while not a balanced force I can field the following.







60 Longbowmen. Yes some shall need a repaint. Typically the ones I Picture.

I have an additional 3 units that just need dusting of and re-organising. I shall come to those in a later post no doubt.

Each of these units shall need re-paining, tidying up and different liveries! Blue and white is so 5 years ago! Actually I shall put them in different liveries so they actually look like a different force, and nothing to do with fashion. My other 36 are all in Red and Blue so feel free to suggest another colour scheme if you want. But these shall be a different force so a re-paint in different colours is needed.

More of these in a future post! But that is a total of 8 points and should (I hope) be quick to finish>


 These knights need a tidy up (and in some cases a glue). But 6 Mounted "Men at arms" (yes I could if  I chose use them as Mounted Sergeants). All the Comparisons on the horses match and I have 4 left over. Again they have a blue and red motif and while they do not have helmets a quick tidy up is all they really need. And sort out the banner! It is Just possible I shall get rid of the yellow stripe! Time will tell!


The last unit. Again in need of  some slight refurbishment is another 6 mounted "Men at arms". Yes the banner does need some work but not much ad mostly regluing! As you can tell I was on my very big flag phase. Yes it is quite a whopper! (About 2x as long as a horse From main to extreme end of it's tail).A bit of work to do but not all that much! I Might if the mood takes me address the green knight as the rest are either red, blue or Yellow as a dominant colour and the green seems out of place.

I think I still have a few knights from the GW Bretonia range lurking unpainted in forgotten boxes so I shall need to look them out asap!

So here id what I shall be working on in my quiet moments if not over-come with eat ! 2 units of archers. And a tidy up of the mounted figures. Considering they have not been out of the box for 15 years I do not feel to sad to notice a few things I would do differently and a few repaints and repairs! But as we all know there is always more to do when it comes to wargames.

16 comments:

  1. Those look perfect for LR, Clint. Archers are effective units for LR - particularly if they're upgraded to Expert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dean. As I have yet to play LR I will take Your word for it. Expert does seem like an expensive upgrade though. Mind you at those points/unit you hope will be good.

      Delete
  2. Great re purposing Clint, always good when you can get a new use out of some old models.
    I believe the plural for Pegasus is Pegasi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. It is always good to use old figures as opposed to buying new ones. I have a trebuchet lurking in a different box as well. You never know that may het an outing.

      Delete
  3. Marvellous idea, Clint, and wow! What a splendidly colourful series of photos of your army you've posted too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Blax. I have not finished just yet. The archers shown need a re-paint so they will be seen again soon . And if I can cobble together some more Knights they shall also get an outing soon.

      Delete
  4. Great idea to reuse your Bretonnian figures. With cleaned up or new paint jobs I'm sure they'll look even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan. I have started the next lot of archers. In the end I decided on Black and white as the livery. Those 2 colours can cover a multitude of sins!

      Delete
  5. These look fab Clint. Look forward to seeing the bowman repainted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. The first unit of bowmen are started ad I HOPE to have them ready for Tuesday or Thursday!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you Michael. I hope to have more ready soon. I definitely have the bug!

      Delete
  7. What a colourful lot these are and always good to see figures be re-puposed too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe. With luck more again tomorrow! I hope to finish one or 2 and maybe a whole unit... well that is the plan.

      Delete
  8. Yes, I recognise these figures; I've got quite a few of them myself :-) . They would indeed work well for Lion/Dragon Rampant, though I use my own for Hordes of the Things instead.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment.