Thursday 18 October 2018

Spiders don't bite! 8 Legged freak!

I had to have a few days off blogging. It's funny nothing gets finished then everything gets done at once.

Firstly here is an ALIEN Male ARACHNID from WTW (Wargames Terrain Workshop LINK ). It currently retails for £10 and to be honest with you is pretty hard to put together as I have, but worth the effort in the end... although the air was blue with profanities at one point!) All I shall say is it does SHATTER if dropped onto concrete from a height of 3 or more feet! So do not try that at home!


I know there is nothing to show scale in the first pic so I Have rectified that in the next! The figure is a 28mm Perrys miniature. To be fair at this stage the money is on the spider!

Needless to say you can (and most Probably shall) paint this any colour you choose. But I wanted it dark and menacing and able to scare a few people I know. (Maybe in the future I may grow up..... No plans though). And I do know at least 2 people who would freak if it actually moved. (Muhahahahaha!)

So here is a 15mm GZG figure. (This is my intention). Why in Sci fi or fantasy games do we need to stick to the proscribed scale. On an alien planet maybe this is the norm. Now that would scare me witless. I am aware that in Australia they would think of this as a baby no matter what the scale or true size.

It is perhaps worth mentioning that WTW do make a bigger version for £15 if for some reason this is not big enough! Personally I think it is.

I do have several ideas for it raning from Straight sci fi wargaming, through 7TV "Land of the giants" and even Home brew "Creature that ate Cheboygan!". (An old SPI game) . Yes I am that weird and yes I am that sick! Therefore I think all the ideas are great. Although I shall admit I purchased it originally for 15mm Sci Fi games.

What else has or is happening behind the scenes?

I have found an old template. Ok it's only a hexagon. BUT this template will allow me to work on my desert in 300th scale and thus get my "Crimson Skies" game underway. Yes I could have used the paper printed maps in the box. But seriously If you know me that was far to easy and simple and convenient and the kind of thing everyone would do. So As there is a harder way I shall go with that! So expect that in a few weeks time. (fingers crossed)

In 2 days I HOPE to have the next unit finished for "Lion Rampant" It's mostly done at the moment but needs finishing off!

Additionally I am thinking of what to build for 7TV. Currently thinking of a St Serle's board but trying to come up with a better idea. I shall chatit over with the Crooked Dice team and see what they think!

That's it for today. Thanks for looking and chat soon if possible.
All the best Clint.

14 comments:

  1. Corking work, Clint, absolutely corking!! The spider looks awesome!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Blax. I must admit I am looking forward to seeing it in some Sci Fi games in 15mm. The other players will...... well let's just wait and see.

      Delete
  2. Whatever scale you intend to use the spider in it is an impressive monster.

    If you do make a St. Searle's board I'd be very interested in seeing what you come up with as it's something I've thought about doing myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan. I was fairly sure you would like the idea of a St Searles board. Some things just appeal to a certain type (you and me both). Time and a chat with Carl will unfold the secret thoughh!.

      Delete
  3. Gah that is mahoosive! Nice work on such a creepy looking critter. St. Searles board does sound fun indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. I will need to talk to Carl about what he thinks board wise, it is just a single possibility! And yes that is NOT a wee beastie!

      Delete
  4. I like the hexagon idea, go tough or go home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fran I Know you will like the desert I have already done and this find of the template allows me to do more!

      Delete
  5. I love that spider so terrifying as for doing things the hard way its something I seem to suffer from myself but it can be very rewarding in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frank. If there is an easy and a hard way of doing the same thing chances are I will pick the hard way nine times out of ten!

      Delete
  6. That is quite a monster, even alonside the 28mm Perry mini it looks huge, but pitted against the 15mm figure , well...
    The choice of a dark colour, though an obvious one, does make it even more menacing and it really does have an alien look to it. Well worth all the effor you've put into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe. The extra effort was mostly base around my vanity and the figure is fine as it is (Un converted). I just wanted it to be mine!

      Delete
  7. I once painted A giant spider model from Games Workshop and when finished it looked like a life size tarantula. Until I dropped it...then it looked like a pile of legs and wasted effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lee. I feel your pain I seriously do. I hope I manage to transport this one in a safe condition.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.