Sunday 18 November 2018

15mm Wild west.

Yes I have bitten the bullet. To the right is a pic of the wild west 15mmm stuff Ihave found going WAY back. It is so old that the company that sold it split in two and today neither of the companies exist,  Yet a successful search of the internet and most of the models are still available. Some I am still struggling to track down though.

So anyway I have started the re-paint. In doing so I am surprised on how well painted it was in the first place!

So anyway here are the first units. All the figures today were "Table-top Games" figures TTG which then split it 2 I have no idea why nor do I care much! And the figures became Table top Miniatures (TTM). Now some while later they are Part of the "Alternative Armies" Range. Who I must say had some excellent online service. All figures required were dispatched and arrived within 3 days. And being honest you can't say much better then that.

These are painted as part of the 10th Cavalry. The so called "Buffalo soldiers". Final markings have yet to go on the flag, but only a "10" in the Red and a single (Company) letter in the white. As I have yet to decide on a company it has not been done yet.

This shall not be the end of them as I have another company already in the pre-paint. In the rules I shall use6 bases is the maximum allowed for a "Veteran" unit so that isall I have shown here. 5 Bases of rank and file troops and one officer. Other units can have up to 10 bases for "Green" troops.

Also as part of the 10th Cavalry I have a single unit of artillery. (The most any force is allowed. As such I have it both limbered (for moving) and Un-limbered (for firing). I would be entitled to a MG IF I forgo the artillery. But in the rules you cannot mix and match, it's either one or the other. But just imagine the fun I shall have in the future and feel free to take a wild guess at what I shall be buying soon. (No more Hints!)

The final picture shows the goodies I have purchased this week towards the project!

I shall be honest I did want to build a wild west fort. Unfortunately they are not covered in the rules. You never know it might just float my boatr enough to do one anyway. It will mean making up my own rules for it. BUT WHO DOES not want a Wild WEST fort! (I do and I am sure I am not alone.!

General Custer did make use of a river paddle steamer (Far West by name). While there are no rules for paddle steamers you can bet your bottom dollar that I have also thought about making one! Bet I do not though. Far to much like hard work and far too seldome used I suspect!

Anyway that's it for today. Jon from my university days is building a Sioux Indian Force and that is the main reason I have started on the cavalry! It means we can do some real Wild West actions pretty cheap and easy.

More again soon as I am already itching to paint some more Cavalry as wel as a few "Liability" markers.

All the best Clint






18 comments:

  1. Excellent figures Clint, and well done for tracking them down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray. I always liked the old TTG figures so I am happy to get some more now I know both where and that the service is so goo.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post, Clint, and a real surprise too, tbh. It's always good to see old projects being given a new lease of life, and that certainly seems to be the case here. The new basing etc looks splendid and I for one am thoroughly looking forward to seeing a BatRep or three in the future :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Blax. The rules seem quite good and I am interested in the old west so for me it's a good match.

      Delete
  3. 10th cavalry still in service to this day, nicely done sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fran. Yes the 10th Cav is still in existence today. What is more they use the Buffalo as part of their emblem. In this period it was a fairly new regiment though and despite that it had a fearsome reputation.

      Delete
  4. Great looking models Clint, also good to find your old models and repurpose them into your new plans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. I am going through a "Wild West!" phase at the moment. Yes I am a stopped clock therefore right twice a day!.

      Delete
  5. Atmospheric and beautiful range of figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil. I hope to have more done SOON1

      Delete
  6. You're off to a good start here. I do hope you decide to make a fort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan. Ahh a fort. I must say I am VERY tempted. You just never know. While there is no place in the rules when has that stopped me?

      Delete
  7. Great stuff Clint and not the ever-present 7th Cavalry for a change!
    I have a front facade for a fort as used in "Pony Wars" (like all my stuff, made may years ago and most of my figures ar "Irregular Minis."
    I always wanted a steamer too (but in 54mm) and the plans for the "Far West" can be found in one of the "Time Life" books sitting on my bookshelf, though I forget which one!
    Good luck with this project, one I've great interest in and looking forward to seeing where you go with it! (I'm guessing Injuns next).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe. Forts and steamers are not top of my list. A steamer in 28mm, that would be good. Maybe one day!
      More of this to come soon enough but for now I need a very small break for 2-3 hours. Then maybe back at it.
      Next Cav Unit NOT going my way at present but I am sure they will after a bit!

      Delete
  8. These look really good Clint! Nice work on these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. Also looking SERIOSLY at 28mm figs. So expect them soonish!

      Delete
  9. Will follow with interest. I've played the rules quite a bit and they are excellent for Cav v Injuns. Lots if interesting little bits that make for a quick fun game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sean. I do hope we can do your background games justice, in that we enjoy them as much as you seem to have. I hope to have some more 15mm Wild west done this week, Fingers crossed!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.