Wednesday 30 July 2014

Another "Paint Monkey" Day.

Well the clue is in the title and I am sure you all remember what I have been painting for my mate Matt. So here are 6 more figures. And yes I still have the Tartan kilts to come. I am either saving them for last because I am looking forward to them or am terrified of them. I'll let you decide.

So today we have 3 more gun crew, in the front rank, two flag bearers and a musician in the rear rank. The Flags were purchased from Redoubt as part of the "Body's Banners" range. (There is one to go with the Tartan troops as well.) One has the Union Flag on it and the other an elephant! So very fitting for the period and troops. I think the figures are a mix or Old Glory and Foundry but don't quote me on that. I did not buy them, just painted them.

You still can't see the Elephant clearly on the second picture but why would I lie about there being one? Honest there is! All the colours match in with the other figures for this period I have painted so far and I expect to start the last batch once I clear the paint table again. (currently cluttered with 20mm zombies and 6mm BMD-1s As I will attempt to get one or the other done in the next few days, unless I get distracted of course! So I should crack on with the last few figures from Matt by the week end. (Yes I will do a group shot when done).

So that's it for today more again on Thursday, although not sure what it will be next. So until then, Thanks for dropping by take care and see you soon . All the best Clint

20 comments:

  1. If this was a game of ATZ-FFO, deciding whether or not to paint your tartan clad guys would require you to take a "Brown Pants" test. Pass and you paint them. Fail and you hold off for as long as possible. Go on, roll that die!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to paint them so I will have to bite the bullet and get on with it sooner rather than later. Thank you Bryan.

      Delete
  2. They're as good as ever, I do like the contrasting turbans, very effecitve.
    The tartan will be a joy to paint, I'm sure, what could possibly go wrong ? - Looking forawrd to both the group shot and your rendition of my kilted neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe. Expect it by the end of next week.

      Delete
  3. Painting a full tartan is nigh on impossible for us mere mortals - there may be some paint demi-gods around who could attempt it, but I'm not one of them. However, it's quite straightforward, if a bit tedious, to paint a good *representation* of a tartan.

    I'm sure you'll find other recipes for this as well, but here's how I've done it in the past for 28mm figures:
    1) Basecoat in the main colour
    2) Paint broad(ish) horizontal and vertical stripes of the second most prominent colour.
    3) Where the stripes intersect, fill in with a dot of a darker shade of the stripe colour. If you can make this dot square-ish then that's even better.
    4) Paint thinner horizontal and vertical stripes in a suitable "accent" colour *between* the broader stripes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hugh I was just going to Wing it !

      Delete
  4. Painting tartan is scary I feel your fear. These are well done as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely job on these Clint.
    I do like your turbans.
    Good luck with the tartan dude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bob. Matt has seen them and is happy so all good here.

      Delete
  6. These are nicely done.

    Best of luck with the tartan - I don't envy you! If you Google 'painting tartan' you get several guides, including http://www.angelfire.com/tx/ToySoldier/tartan.htm and a video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GUl2_WB0O4

    As to elephants - the West Riding Regt had one on its cap badge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Edwin. I will just give it a go and see how it comes out. Nothing else I can do.

      Delete
  7. Very cool looking group, Clint. BTW, this is a method I do the Govt. Pattern http://www.camospecs.com/Article.asp?FictionID=22 Very simple, yet effective. Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean It is great that several people have offered advice on doing Tartan.

      Delete
  8. These are great love the banners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flags always make troops stand out. Maybe you should do some for across the dead earth.... But it might make them draw fire.
      Thanks Simon.

      Delete
  9. More cracking troops Clint, love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. I shall finish the rest after the weekend as I have Russian Desant troops looking at me from the painting table and shaking their fists.

      Delete
  10. I love them! Great work Clint. Flags really make everything look better :D

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment.