Friday 31 July 2015

WW1 Lewis Gun Teams. (PM)

And today I have 3 Lewis Gun teams finished and ready to go. I have had to colour match them to figures already painted by Ray Rousell. This is a both good and bad, as it means that while it does take me slightly longer to mix the colours to match it does mean that I do not have to think or look up what the colours need to be.

So we have 5 figures in the 28mm size range. A Gunner and a Loader for each team. Alas they are not for me but Matt as I am short of Lewis Gunners for VBCW and these would, if they were mine make nice additions to the force. But they are not so no point going on about it.


 While I do not know the make they were very well cast and sculpted and I would be tempted to get some. I do know the heads were cast separately and then assembled in a ball and socket joint allowing the head to be positioned to suit the pose. I personally am a big fan of this type of figure as it aids in variation and allows for easy head swaps.

As it is school holidays I have had my nephew here all day hence the later in the day posting,
 It also means that I may not get the next ones finished on Sunday. So I will not guarantee a Sunday posting on the Blog, but I shall as soon as I am able.

That's it for today, have fun and with luck see you soon. All the Best Clint

22 comments:

  1. These ares some smart looking figures Clint. I like how you've done the bases with half in grass and half on dirt. Well done sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. My normal base style but with very slightly more dirt than normal.

      Delete
    2. Chaos shall reign once more! :)

      Delete
    3. Sorry Tamsin I think this is a fleeting visit by Anne and not a full blown return. Either way it if nice to hear from her and also you.

      Delete
  2. Lovely job Sir, that should add a bit of punch to the force.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. I hope not as I will most likely be the on to fight against them.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Lee. It's hard to follow Rays workmanship.

      Delete
  4. Very smartly done and we have to add colour matching to your list of skills too!
    What struck me most was the variation in the gunner figures, normally I'd expect at most a single figure standing with other variants being of the kneeling variety. Great additions to the WW1 Brits (and maybe on lease-lend for VBCW?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. Realistically the Lewis Gun should be carried over the shoulder and fired only from a bipod or fixed mount. However as wargamers we do tend to bend the rules somewhat when it comes to figures.

      Delete
  5. Nice work on these lads Clint :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tamsin. I took very little joy from doing them but I think they came out rather well.

      Delete
  6. Very nice Clint! I love the facial hair details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob, There was a time in the British army where moustaches were compulsory. Not by ww1, but some old habits were hard to stamp out.

      Delete
  7. Ah the Lewis gunners - great work!

    I was a bit surprised to see them wear hats and not helmets, however!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mathyoo. I had to check but the Lewis gun saw service in the UK forces from 1914 onwards so they would have been in service in early WW1 when the German troops thought Britain had dedicated machinegun battalions because of the so called "Mad minute" a tactic employed by the British army and developed in the Boer war.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful painting Clint. Its always a pleasure to see your figures as I always admire how you blend your colours together. These figures are a great example of that. What a terrific selection of WW1 minis you've been posting of late. Very tempting indeed ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blax. I hope to get a few more Necrons done for tomorrow and get the Flag bearers done for the following time. (Fingers crossed!)

      Delete
  9. Nice job fella. I always like the appearance of the Lewis Gun. Theres aren't many machine guns that have the round magazine and such large barrels.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment.