If you ever decide to paint a Zulu army make sure you have plenty of Zulus. One or two will just not do you do need a serious amount. So here are my next 33. (And that is just a drop in the bucket! Bucket not ocean let us not exaggerate!)
So what did I get wrong, well not so very much as all that but one thing that is quite important. Well probably more than just one thing, but 1 thing I am aware about.
Here is what happened! I did have a painted example on my painting table to copy and copy I did. I finished the 33 and was feeling jolly good about it. All based and varnished and ready to put away. It all happened in the putting away. Below is a picture of the few painted so far, many more to go. And then I noticed that the ones with the headdress had different colour shields from the ones I have just painted also in a headdress. Opps.
As Zulu Impis (Regiments are identified by their shields I had clearly started a third regiment without realising. Therefore I do have one of 3 solutions!
- I can start a 3rd regiment and be content and allow more space in the boxes for them. (Brown and white shields)
- I Can re-paint the shields of these new troops to bring them into line with my other troops in headdress. (Black and white shields)
- I can re paint the previously painted troops to make them match the newly painted. (Brown and white shields)
- Re paint both sets to get black brown and white shields (Black and brown and white shields as a tricolour!)
At this stage I am thinking option 2 makes the most sense. While I still have many to paint it is possible to carry out option 1 but I know the nagging voice in my head will tell me of for being lazy. Option 3 is also possible and just as much work. Option 4 is more work and historically not correct but I could fudge it enough to make it look convincing. But I think In reality it needs to be option 2. But I just cannot face it today. so Maybe Monday night!
All the best Clint