Saturday 2 April 2016

More Zulu's

I was going to call this post getting it wrong in every way! But that is a bit harsh and |I assure the kind and gentle reader that it is of course not in every way.

If you ever decide to paint a Zulu army make sure you have plenty of Zulus. One or two will just not do you do need a serious amount. So here are my next 33. (And that is just a drop in the bucket! Bucket not ocean let us not exaggerate!)

So what did I get wrong, well not so very much as all that but one thing that is quite important. Well probably more than just one thing, but 1 thing I am aware about.

Here is what happened! I did have a painted example on my painting table to copy and copy I did. I finished the 33 and was feeling jolly good about it. All based and varnished and ready to put away. It all happened in the putting away.  Below is a picture of the few painted so far, many more to go. And then I noticed that the ones with the headdress had different  colour shields from the ones I have just painted also in a headdress.  Opps.

As Zulu Impis (Regiments are identified by their shields I had clearly started a third regiment without realising. Therefore I do have one of 3 solutions!
  1. I can start a 3rd regiment and be content and allow more space in the boxes for them. (Brown and white shields)
  2. I Can re-paint the shields of these new troops to bring them into line with my other troops in headdress. (Black and white shields)
  3. I can re paint the previously painted troops to make them match the newly painted. (Brown and white shields)
  4. Re paint both sets to get black brown and white shields (Black and brown and white shields as a tricolour!)

At this stage I am thinking option 2 makes the most sense. While I still have many to paint it is possible to carry out option 1 but I know the nagging voice in my head will tell me of for being lazy. Option 3 is also possible and just as much work. Option 4 is more work and historically not correct but I could fudge it enough to make it look convincing. But I think In reality it needs to be option 2. But I just cannot face it today. so Maybe Monday night!

All the best Clint




25 comments:

  1. Thanks Loki. It has taken longer to type the options than re paint. I have settled on option 2. Now all done and the Second Impi is bigger.

    But you are right you can never have enough Zulus Only about another 300 to pant before a game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weirdly I've just done a Zulu post, must something in the air. These look great and go for option 1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. The only problem is that would not be historically correct. So I have re-painted them now.

      Delete
    2. Yes sorry I cannot help it

      Delete
  3. If you've already gone for option 2 it is rather moot to suggest what you should do. That said, I agree with choosing option 2 and I think you made the right decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. The typing of the options out reinforced in my mind the right thing to do and they are re-painted now.

      Delete
  4. Option 1 old boy and no fussing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran. The voice of reason came too late. They are re-painted now. I think I have about 300 more to do so a couple more Impis will happen. When I finish the black and white shield Impi I think solid Black shields will come next!

      Delete
  5. I really would like to collect and paint a 28mm Zulu army. It'll only ever be a dream, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roy I know a few people with 6mm Zulu armies. They pick 6mm as you need a lot of Zulus. First find the rules you like. "*mm would be good for skirmishes but for BIG battles I would choose a smaller scale.

      Delete
  6. As I'd hate to have to repaint figures, I'd have gone with a new regiment, but that's fairly irrelevant now it seems.
    Zulus do look good when there's a lot of them though - yours included!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, only a repaint on the shields. And all finished now I shall start the next batch soon I hope.

      Delete
  7. Makes me want to get some 28mm zulus. Good job on them Clint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gobbo. If I was doing a Tarzan skirmish I would do 28mm as well. But for big battles when Hundreds are needed.....

      Delete
  8. Option 1, definitely. Zulus, zombies, can't have enough of them. Yours look great en masse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael they are re-painted now. I find to type out the issue clarifies it in my mind.

      Delete
  9. Great job Clint - they look great

    +1 vote for Option 1 but that seems rather superfluous now :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul they typing cleared my thoughts and I now have more of the impi I need

      Delete
  10. Well I would have said option 1 too, but clearly far too late now to voice that opinion - you speed demon you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael. I have about 300 still to paint SO it is fair for me to try and stay on the right track and not make mistakes too early.

      Delete
  11. Option one of course! I've been rereading the "Washing of the Spears" and there a plenty of games you can play Bantu v Bantu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David. As already mentioned all fixed now and good to go. And I would rather make it right at the start than have to correct it later.

      Delete
  12. fantastic job as always dude. They look awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Daemon. The Black and whites have gotten larger and the brown and white a little smaller.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.