Saturday 21 January 2017

chasseurs à pied

These are 28mm Renegade Miniatures (and 2 Scarab Miniatures) WW1 French Light Cavalry. When I say cavalry I mean they went to war on Bicycles and not horses but the French army classed them as Cavalry. As you can see from the picture this is the whole unit together. I could find little real useful information on the unit, I am sure there is LOADS  but I am equally sure I am a dullard and that my webfu is not very good.  So do me a favour and do not point out the best source
 
for information on this unit. Even if yuou do I will not look at it as they are done now and I doubt I will ever paint them again.

The next 2 pictures show the Scarab miniatures or the right to contrast with the Renegade miniatures on the left. I have shown these in close up so you can see the cat and the pigeon as well as to notice the differences and similarities between the two companies.

I want to say how much fun these were to paint Unfortunately that would be a lie. Not that the figures are bad or miss cast or poorly sculpted but rather that painting dark blue when ill in the middle of winter is not so much fun. (This was carried out last week and I am all better now!) needless to say getting the right blue for shading and highlighting was a right kerfuffle! Yeah I know I am labouring the point.

The last 2 pics show French Re enactors (I believe in Belgium) who are dressed in the uniform of the Chasseurs à pied which should show where I took all the colours from. The models did not have any markings on their trousers or kepis so that has all been done free hand but I for one think it works. By the way only the guys on the bikes are in the right uniform so no one ask why they do not have red trousers like the ones in the back. I am sure someone will and that someone will and it is not at all funny!

That is it for today a wave of apathy has struck and I was unable to post last weeks battle on the blog. But I shall attempt to in the coming days.

Until then take car have fun and paint if you can.

best Wishes Clint

12 comments:

  1. I like how you've painted the blue uniforms. A nice combination of colours with the highlights.

    When I painted some ACW Union troops last year painting the dark blue uniforms really made the task a chore. Possibly, painting dark blue is more challenging than blacks, for some reason. But then didn't Japanese 'Ninja's' wear dark blue uniforms as they found the colour absorbed light and hid them better in the dark better than black. Whatever it is, great work getting through all those blue uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roy. A BIG thank you for the comment on Ninjas. Archeologically and historically there Is NO evidence that Ninjas Ever did wear black. Dark blue yes for night work but NEVER black. So few people really know that so I am impressed that you do.

      Delete
  2. Black is actually a pretty rubbish camouflage in the dark as the human eye is actually fairly good at spotting it. for an alternative greys and blues are used both historically and in some modern forces.

    I was watching a brilliant programme regarding ninjas a few weeks ago but for the life I can't remember what it was called

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. You sound like me! I watch an awful lot and cannot always remember what I have seen with regard to programme names.

      Delete
  3. Nice unit...I recognise the communication unit at least 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt I personally like the cat around the leg it is a nice touch!

      Delete
  4. These are absolutely brill, Clint. Marvellously characterful, as well as colourful, there's lots to see and enjoy. I think these sort of projects really bring out the best from your paint-brush :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon that is very kind of you.

      Delete
  5. I like these and from my own experience with the ACW in 15mm I know only too well how difficult it is to paint dark blue, but I think you've done an excellent job on these, despite your reticence to admit it.
    I have to ask though who thought it was a good idea to put a cat amongst the pigeon(s)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you Joe the figure you refer to is by Scarab Miniatures. But I have no idea who the sculptor is.

      Delete
  6. Clint , Those guys look great, you've do a fabulous job on painting them up I do like the yellow piping. than you for the reference picture of the reenactors , I am conidering having a go at the Jon Smith Modelbau bust of a chasseur à pied at some point to see how I get on something totally different.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jerry. I must make it quite clear I DO NOT know about this regiment so if I get anything wrong please forgive me. As for bust painting again something I know almost nothing about but would enjoy seeing your version.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.