Wednesday 20 September 2017

Dux Britaniarum skirmishers.

Well the title says it all. In Dux Britaniarum missile troops do not play a major part. Nor Historically should they. A unit, this time 4 (and not 6) represents the young warriors perhaps on their first raid. maybe they are not considered strong or brave enough to be in a shield wall or in a main unit. But they still have a purpose they act as harassing and missile troops.

These are 28mm hard plastic dark age missile troops. I cannot tell you who makes them as they were bought unpainted/2nd hand on eBay. I have kept the coulours as realistic as possible and put patches where they have been repaired. Given that there was about 3 miles of thread in a tunic (I am told, not measured it myself) and they were often in a persons will when they died patching seems not only likely but also nessercary.

That is another unit finished for Dux Britaniarum. The smallest unit I grant you but it did need to be finished. One more warrior unit to go. (yes there will be a group photo when all are finished.

Now the painting table is "Almost" cleared I can start to look at the FFL again. More of that NEXT week, I am sure.

12 comments:

  1. An interesting addition to patch the clothing like that. Thanks for the idea.

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Duke. We have to accept that it is a different time period and clothing was "hard" to make. So hard that many wills have an item listed for inheritance. That being the case it is very likely that clothing would have patches.

      Delete
  2. Nice job Clint. We patched our clothes as a kid. So I imagine this would of been a certainty as you say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. personally I think it would be the norm and not at all rare. heaven only knows what they would have made of the ripped jeans on sale now!

      Delete
  3. Nice skirmishers Clint. I suspect they are Gripping Beast figures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tamsin . You may well be right. However they came from 2 different sources so maybe one is by another company. I don't know

      Delete
  4. Another additon, be it a small one and as you say an almost essential one (for completness I assume).
    I must say I really prefer archer figures that are not in the loose mode of shooting an arrow and always pleased to see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. The unit does round out the force and as such is needed. I think I would have preferred guys with Javelins, but these were cheaper and quicker to get and sometimes that is more important. I do know what you mean with regard to the archer stance. Just how long would they actually spend in that position?

      Delete
  5. Very nice skirmish unit Clint, as for holding a bow at full draw, it is possible to hold for a few minutes if using on a regular basis, but not the days and months our models sit there ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. M remember to put the M in the word CraMp! My mistake on the deleted comment.

      I agree most figures would suffer from cramp after a short while if forced to stay in one position for too long.

      Delete
    2. as a teenager, I took up archery. It was great fun if not a bit expensive on set up. competed at club level and had a great time. With the development of compound bows it is now possible to hold a bow at full draw for a lot longer. The biggest strain with a longbow is the fingertips as this is where the greatest pressure is

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.