Thursday 19 October 2017

Another VSF "Tank"

Firstly I have not posted anything for a couple of day, just because I was not in the mood, no other reason. But I know that the longer I leave it the harder to post it will become. So with no more ado here is another Victorian Science Fiction (VSF) Steam tank.

This time for the German forces. What German Forces are those? Well none yet but they may, or may not be coming, as might a WW2 Chinese army! (JK well semi kidding at least!)

Matt suggested the colour scheme when I was given the models. It may or May NOT be what he thought at the time and it just may be my interpretation of what he suggested. Who Knows?

So I went for a steel metal finish all over but with a white turret. The turret then looked like a ping pong ball so I added a red top section. Along with a red panel at the front.  I then added some rust. Well I hope it reads as rust anyway and a couple of Germanic crosses.

When doing a black cross on a German vehicle you have to make sure it does not look like a Nazi cross, That would not be the effect I was looking for as in the Victorian Period They had in no way come to power.

I also painted the wheels to be rusty and then covered them in 2 layers of brown to look like dirt! With luck that has worked.

A copper boiler on the back and it is good (I hope) to go.
Shame I could not get the crosses perfect but they are good enough for the wargames table.

Comments always welcome and with luck more again tomorrow!



18 comments:

  1. Another great looking tank Clint, nice Maltese cross work as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. It is a shame I am not an accurate enough painter to get the cross exact, however It is good enough so no need to beat myself up over it.

      Delete
  2. What a weird contraption! I think you've done a very good paint job on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. yes it is pretty weird and not one I would have bought for myself (It was a gift from Bob, Thx Bob)

      Delete
  3. It looks good to me Clint, and good on yer for posting despite not feeling "in the mood" - it's always good to hear from you!
    I'd still like to see a figure alongside so we can get an idea of the size, but hey, that can wait til we see them in action some time in the future :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Addict. I do have a number of plans in which they could feasibly be involved. Planning on the show at the weekend to supply some awe and inspiration. (Fingers Crossed)

      Delete
  4. I suppose that's part of the fun of steampunk, there's no painting guide, so you could paint it any colour you want. Can I suggest purple with pink polka dots for the next tank?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray. You are correct in that all sci fi and fantasy is unfettered by reality and you are at liberty to paint them as you see fit. Unfortunately I have no more tanks to paint so I doubt very much that I will follow your suggestion.

      I realise that on certain Nappy uniforms Pink is the colour of the facings so I shall very much look forward to setting the trend such that I may better know how to follow.

      Delete
  5. Looks marvellous Clint! Yes I know how you feel about posting I get like that sometimes to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon I think we all feel like that at times.

      Delete
  6. And much hilarity ensued...
    Thant's one fun looking vehicle and a very imaginative coour scheme, though imo you've been a bit bold with the turret, but htne again for such a fantasy period it fits perfectly. Don't bet yourself up with the crosses, they look great and your rusted wheels are excellent too.
    I can't help but think that the boiler looks very vulnerable though - who'd be a tanker eh ?
    Great stuff all round and looking forward to more odf the same in a bat=rep/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe, As I said before it was a gift and I would not have chosen this tank. Don't get me wrong I am very grateful to have it, just saying it was not my choice.
      Following your comment I might paint the white gun metal on the turret. I will need to see how I feel in the morning.
      As for who would be a tanker in this well it is perhaps more protection than nothing and I would imagine tribesman would struggle to stop it with spears and bows.

      Delete
  7. Great looking tank. Gotta love those Iranclad miniatures vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dannoc. I HOPE Ironclad will have their new German "Stormtroopers" at the show on Sunday. If so I think I may have found the crew.

      Delete
  8. Nice job .....I love these sort of VSF tanks 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt. In my head (and only in my head) I have been calling it the Killer bathtub because it is so very different to modern tanks.

      Delete
  9. I can' imagine that a vehicle like that would do very well on anything other than the flattest, firmest ground :-) . Also, having the boiler inside the armour plate will protect it from enemy fire, but I'll bet it makes the crew very hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C6. Luckily most wargames tables are quite flat and firm so the first issue is not a problem.... real life might be VERY different.

      As for the boiler placement in the early designs of tanks many things were different from how they are today, or might be in the future. So I find it best NOT to think too much about the reality.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.