Monday 1 April 2019

Not going to Salute

Yep that's right I am not going to "Salute" show this year. It is just TOO big and TOO expensive. As has become my practice I have made 2 (so far) "NOT GOING TO SALUTE!" orders over the weekend.


Order 1 :

Yes I caved! I caved in and succumbed! Yes I am weak and I have pledged to this Kickstarter. ( LINK ) I only went for the "Heroes" option. as I have more of a use for them. I did look at the Villains very closely but as there was only 3 I would (at this point) use I dismissed it. MAybe in the future I will get the 3 I want from these selection. maybe I will  not.

Most importantly I am also going to get the "stretch goals!"  So for the price of £22 (plus postage) I should get the Heroes and the stretch goals. And to be honest the stretch goals are more to my liking at present than the figures.

Yes I am an awkward cuss!" At present the Ark of the covenant is not in the stretch goals but maybe by the time it closes it will be. (Fingers Crossed).  We  all like a few stretch goals!



Order 2:
As "alternative Armies" was having a sale I splurged and ordered some figures.  ( LINK ) Not a huge order but (I hope) enough 15mm US cavalry to finish an army! We both know that I will still buy some more at a later date. But this should be enough for my 9th or 10th US CAVALRY "Buffalo soldiers!" yes I could have done 7th Cavalry as seen as famous in the films but these are more interesting.

END NOTE
Sorry it is only talking today. I have had a step back and rethink on a project. Enough of a re-think to make me start again but using some existing items.

Ad a special thanks to Ray for getting me back in touch with an old friend. Not that they are old but we had lost touch over the last 23 years. So thanks again Ray I appreciate it!

26 comments:

  1. I looked at this Kickstarter too, but realised I have more than enough of what they were offering., but I'm sure you'll enjoy it (when it eventually arrives).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe. I have had a downer on Kickstarters as so may people either pledged too much (Or in the case of "defiance" games failed to deliver. I have been left frustrated. But I know CD/Karl so with luck that will change.

      Delete
  2. Like you I caved in, but went for the villains, I am hoping 'She' will appear in a Congo game. I really want the Ark too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael. I want the monkey statue most as I have a game in my head for it. The Ark has now been funded (as I am sure you know) so lots to look forward to!

      Delete
  3. Me too! But I got everything... And the Ark is now funded, with a new Falcon added as a stretch goal. Like Michael I see several of these figures appearing in future games of Congo. 'She' definitely will! As will BK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lee. I decided NOT to get everything as I only have a use for 3 of the Villains at present and as such wil most likely pick up the other 3 either on eBay or at a show. (Well fingers crossed I will)

      Delete
  4. It is too big and at your age too, surely it's not our budgie smuggler Ray?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fran. I find Salute far to big. It is a victim of it's own success. But I am sure many enjoy it and look forward each year to it. My absence is personal choice only and not a critisim of the show as such. But with travel it cost me over £50 just to walk through the door. So I make a few orders before the show to get what I want.

      Delete
  5. Totally understand about Salute. It does work out an expensive day, especially if you drive. Having said that I usually make my money back with pre-orders and show discounts. Ray and I are already stocking up on painkillers...next year we hire a powered wheelchair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lee. For me it is not a good day out. Not enough places to sit. Too busy to talk to traders. I find I am better getting what I want from the traders who are not going as they generally have time and appreciate not having the expense of having a stall at the show. Worth going every 5 years or so, but for me not more that that really.

      Delete
  6. No probs Clint! Glad I could be of some assistance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate really appreciated and you will delighted to know I did not owe any money! As for the other thing they did chuckle when it was mentioned.

      Delete
  7. With you there Clint... for me it’s £150 to,get there and back . Last time I didn’t even spend anywhere near that , so likewise I am having a not at salute top up too... a new gaming mat for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. The only time we have met I did not really know who you were and have regretted it ever since. £150 is just far too much especially when local shows are as good.

      Delete
  8. Salute is way too far away for me to travel to so once again, I'll be staying at home and spending my money elsewhere. I'm not complaining. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan. Promise (and this is in writing) I shall make it at least 1/2 way to you one year so we can meet face to face.

      Delete
  9. Looks like some great purchases Clint, and should easily make up for what you might have got at Salute, maybe next year if your work schedule allows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave I may well remind you of that next year. Or I may just win the lottery and not worry about the expense (I doubt that will happen though).

      Delete
    2. No problem mate, the second one would be very nice though !

      Delete
    3. If the second one expect a few commissions!

      Delete
  10. I gave up on Salute years ago. Last time I went it felt like we were being herded like cattle. Soulless horrid show. I know a lot of small traders who refuse to attend now. I would like to know if footfall is going down, as I see more and more statements like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. I feel my personal view is very much like your own. Yes many traders want Salute to be the day they release something. I for 1 am happy to wait a few weeks and then get it. I think footfall is going up at this show generally if it fails to do so THEN they may change, until they do though once every 5 years is enough for me.

      Delete
  11. I will not be going to Salute either. I spend the money it would cost to go there from the Midlands and get into the show on "Daddy's Toys" as they are called in our house

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mike. It sounds very good to me. And nothing wrong with "Daddy's Toys" in my opinion.

      Delete
  12. I’m not going to Salute either as I’m hosting some very awesome games at a convention in Broadstairs over the weekend - Uncon 5.0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. Uncon 5 sounds fine I shall check it out!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.