Monday 25 February 2019

Cavalier 2019

Firstly I am not doing a show report. There were a couple of good games but generally nothing stood out as exceptional. I am sure if you were playing those games OR if there was a particular setting or period you were interested in you would strongly disagree.

There did not seem to be either as many traders or as many wargamers as usual.  Again I could be wrong but that is just a personal opinion. NOTHING more.
So here is the swag, where I brought it and for what it will be used for.

  • PBI rules By Peter Pig. Purchased as a pre-show order (No money spent on the day so far) I shall of course be using this set of rules for WW2 battles in the Western Desert. More of this in a few days no doubt!
  • 1 pack of oval mdf bases. Brought from "Product for wargames". These are a mad idea I have for a conversion and it will probably come to nothing. So no more needs be said at this stage.
  • 2 free figures from Peter Pig. 15mm and very welcome they are too.
  • Kiki Blinder and 2 pots of  paint. I could have purchased more paint but the colours and manufacturers I wanted were not present so that was passed. Col Bill (AKA Stuart took my money and these were ordered before the show.
  • Back to the top right hand side!
  • 2 Packs of "Evil Henchmen" by Ironclad miniatures. Purchase as an impulse buy but my mind is racing and shall be painted and used quite quickly.... I hope.
  • 2 Desert Hills from "the Scene" reasonably well priced and quicker ad easier than making my own.
  • More peter Pig stuff! A destroyed Italian Tank 15mm western desert. And a pack of bases, 30mmx30mm "Plasticard" But if I am to do the western desert I feel this is the way to go!
  • Some TUFTS again suitable for the ww2 desert war. I am not sure who I purchased them from but I always need more and I always use them.
  • 1 15mm Italian tank kit. I will need to get at least 1 more, possibly more, to round out my Italian army in the western desert. I did not catch the trader but a toughly pleasant chap and I hope to encounter them again and I hope they have a few more of these about!
Overall a very good day and a good chance to catch up with  some traders and some wargamers.

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Ray. More work I suspect on the ship today. As well as looking lovingly am my purchases.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Fran. "the more something changes, the more it stays the same" I find.

      Delete
  2. Nice haul Clint, look forward to seeing how these ideas and purchases develop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Several things I am excited about and I am sure I shall start some SOON!

      Delete
  3. It seems like you had a good day, which is always a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan. I did have a good day. So good I would award it a double bonus.

      Delete
  4. Good to see you at the show. Looks like you had a good shop, but the games tables were a little thin on the ground this year. Thanks for the heads up about PBI, I haven't had a chance to look through my copy yet but hopefully I'll get some time tonight. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lee. We may have a game of PBI on Sunday if you want to learn the rules. Just let me know a few days ahead of time and I am sure we can sort it out!

      Delete
  5. Some nice looking loot, Clint, and good to see you getting some supplies for your desert project. Looking forward to seeing them assembled and painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon (blax)The desert boards have moved on since this time yesterday only in thoughts but soon I hope in actions. In other words I have started reading the new rules.

      Delete
  6. That seems a very restrained bag of swag, but given the rather seemingly slim amount of sutable traders, perhaps I shouldn;t be surprised,though the Evil Henchman do intrigue me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe. Yes I do have plans for the evil henchmen! Best not get too excited though it is a slow burn plan. Given the lack to suitable traders I think I did quite well. One can always do better of course . So emailed a company with an order.... so expect that soonish.

      Delete
  7. That's a good looking haul Clint and also an opportunity to catch up with friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael. I agree with both comments. As such this is one of the best wargames shows of the year for me.

      Delete
  8. I think the show was quiet because
    1- It was way too nice a day to be stuck inside
    2- perhaps people are hanging onto pennies with Britexit in the offing
    3- Perhaps you own comment about there being nothing exciting to look at. Given the various sporting events it was obvious several people were going there for a couple of hours, browse the Band B and then watch rugby or the League Cup final.

    You'll always end up competing with something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Scott. These are only my personal observations. I think in many regards you are right. Several of the games were worth a look BUT if you have been wargaming for a while a standard ACW, WW2 or Napoleonic games are just that Standard. Nothing special at all. I realise that some clubs want "Salute" to be their big release. And nothing wrong with that! For me though the games (on the most part, and there were exceptions) were damp!

      Just a personal view and nothing more. And nor is it intended to be more

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.