Saturday 15 September 2018

The moon's a dairylea carton! (Pat 1)

Starting place
Well sort of but it's also loo or kitchen roll tubes as well as several other things When It comes to making terrain I will use anything. The limits are what does it cost, will it work, and what will it look like!

I wanted to make some more "Moon" boards for 15mm sci fi. (well any scale sci fi really!)  That being the case I  have started! Long time followers will no doubt recall the process.

Here is a quick walk through of how it is made.

Firstly you  need a board of the right size. My other boards are 2'x4' so these will be 2'x2' It will offer a great deal od variety that way.

Starting the Craters
 Craters are the most time consuming of all  the processes. Firstly take a tube and cit it down to the right height. No one can tell you what the right height is you will have to judge it for yourself. But as a word of warning LOWER is better! so 1=2 cm for a roll of masking tape size tube!

Next build up SEVERAL(3-4) layers of tape.  These will go from the inside to the outside. They need to be firmly "squished"  down in the centre and at he edges. They also need to leave a hollow triangle section which make up the slopes of the crater. Just look at the picture and see what I mean. Right you understand now! (I hope)
Keep going it takes a while!

It takes much longer than you think and you will use up LOADS of masking tape. Luckily "Poundland" currently has 4 rolls for £1. So if there is one local get it there. I use masking tape you 2 reasons. Firstly the Cost. It's cheap. Secondly it has a mat textured back and that makes it easier to attaché the sand to! Feel free to use something else and if It works better let me know. Currently I know Masking tape works and it's cheap and that is why I use it.
Do all the craters




It's common sense but do all the craters at one time. Yes it is boring and time consuming but I know this way works and I also know that other than the wood (which does cost a bit) works out cheaply. It really does, materials costs were less than £1 for 2 boards each measuring 2' x2'. And lets be honest that is less than a pot of paint!







add the sand texture!
This is the messy part. DO NOT DO THIS INDOORS. Mixing up a LITTLE water White PVA glue (Actually called Resin W by people who know) A coloured water based paint (either acrylic or Poster or Emulsion) I use all three at different times (NOT TOGETHER). And Brush it on the boards. Now I use the cheapest brushes I can get (5 for £1, from "Poundland") and at that price it is easy enough not to care about them. before the Paint mixture with the PVA is even nearly dry I sprinkle (via a sieve) builders and on the board. I use Builders sand because it is cheapest and one you have a bag that will last you years.

That is he process. It is not hard at all but does require some patience, practice and hardest of all some common sense!

Part 2 to follow later this week,as It takes some time to do it! And I have yet to get as far as a finished board this time out. I plan on showing it NEXT weekend! (that shall encourage me to get of my fat lazy bum and get some terrain done!)

Off to a small local show tomorrow so a show report and loot on Monday. Until then, take care and paint something!

14 comments:

  1. Nice tutorial. Looking forward to Part 2! Hopefully I'll see you at Skirmish tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lee. Be very god to see you at Skirmish! May have a couple of things to discuss with you there. I really enjoyed writing the above today. and am thinking of doing more terrain bits and bobs.

      Delete
  2. Always interesting to see how others make terrain, you never know when you might learn something new. looking good so far Clint, look forward to reading more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. I Know what you mean. Always happy to learn more or alternative ways when it comes to making terrain.

      Delete
  3. A very informative tutorial, Clint. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. It does take a while but nothing beyond what the average wargamer can do in any way.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the step by step process very useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brummie. That is actually most of the work done. Now the stuff that takes the time. Mostly because it needs a day or 2 between coats.

      Delete
  5. That's a very useful tutorial Clint thanks for taking the time to post it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frank I HOPE to finish them and post next weekend what they turn out like!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you sir. Bumped into Lee, Ray and Postie today they have not changed at all. You were mentioned) Good to hear from you again take care chum. All the best Clint.

      Delete
  7. Very ingenious, a method I wouldn't have thought of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe. All very well coming out with compliments but until finished it is easy to get side-tracked.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.