Friday 21 September 2018

The Moon's a Diarylea carton (Part 2)..... and relax

Well as you may remember just 5-6 days ago I posted (Part 1) and this is part 2 the final part. Well at least final for now.

Most of the rest is repetitive to do and needs to be left alone overnight. Perhaps longer if you applied the sand paint and glue mixture to thickly. THEREFORE do it somewhere it will not et disturbed, that is dry and no one  else wants to use and NO ONE minds if it gets dirty. IT WILL>

You will need 3 or preferably 4 (or more ) coats. It all depends on how much repair you are willing to do and how roughly they are to be treated.

Mix up the paint, glue and a small drop of water. You will know how much water with experience, and the only way to get experience is to do it! As a staring place I would suggest a LITTLE water. As it is just to thin the paint and the glue. I Try to use about 1 part water to 6-8 parts paint, it all depends on how much glue is already in the mix.

Paint the boards with this mixture. And then using a sieve sprinkle sand on the boards, making sure to cover all of the boards with first the paint/glue mixture and then again with the sand.
DO NOT try to brush the sand off!
Wait overnight (at least 25 hours preferred). For some people (Author looks sheepish) this is the hardest part

Repeat as mentioned above a MINIMUM of 3 times. (each time does make it stronger, BUT you do lose a little definition. So Plan on it taking 4 days  MINIMYM.


Remove excess sand at each coat. I find simply tipping it works very well. Repeat the tipping on all sides to make sure you have all the excess sand off before starting the next coat.

Keep the sand safe and use again on later coats.

If it is clumpy It has not had long enough to dry. Which means It has had too much water in the mix! If it is clumpy leave it alone for 2 more days (Perhaps longer is the weather is wet>.

While each step only takes 30 minutes or so, but drying time is MUCH longer.

When you are satisfied (remember a minimum of 3 coats and ample drying time). Paint it with emulsion paint your base colour. feel free to water the emulsion down a LITTLE as it then gives better coverage. If you water it down to much it will need 2 or perhaps more coats. (But usually not)

Leave it to dry (Again) overnight.

The final stage is to dry brush the op colours on. I use a 3"  or 4" brush for speed Bought in a pack from Poundland.

You will need to work up through the layers until you get to the highlight coat. So while you do TRY to keep brush marks out it is not a complete disaster if some occasionally show in the early stages.

Later coats will make any brush strokes less visible. feel free to work the colour into each and every contour. The boards if done properly should at this stage be strong enough, unless you are very heavy handed or super strong and determined.  But if you are maybe making terrain is not for you.

This stage should not take long if you have all the preparation done. If you start to early the sand will clump and you will struggle to get a good result. But I honestly finished the painting of both boards at this stage within 30 minutes. Preparation is the key and waiting for it to dry properly is VITAL.

DESIGN: When I made my first boards I had too many craters. So be aware of that. These boards have far fewer and are designed to allow other terrain features to be added later.

I decided on some open areas for 2 reasons. Firstly I did need some additional terrain , such as buildings (I will start a Farm in a week or 2), 2 because not every inch of the moon has been hit by a meteor, 3) some open spaces make a better game I have found.  (too much cover leads to a certain type of game and too little cover also leads to a certain type of game.

Finally:These 2 boards bring my moonscape (as I call it) up to an area of 6 foot by 4 foot. And if need be I could make it MUCH larger, limited only by time, storage and money. Ido not at this stage need a larger area so 6x4' is where (at least for now) I will stop.

Thanks for looking. All the best Clint



18 comments:

  1. Great conclusion to your demo Clint, the boards look great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. Until I add terrain the boards have no scale. They can equally be used , at resent, for 6mm al the way to 28mm and beyond.

      Delete
  2. They have turned out well. I do agree with you leaving spaces to fit in other terrain pieces like a space station. Good call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan. The gaps can be left blank. But more likely the will have certain terrain added. Indeed I have a friend who is talking about making a terra-forming plant for the terrain.

      Delete
  3. Great looking terrain pieces. If you had an old Airfix Apollo 11 lander, you could add the base as a piece of terrain - would look cool. Sadly, mine went in the bin long ago.

    Cheers, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andy. You are correct it would be suitable for the model you suggest. Personally I must not watch UFO tv series as it might get me side-tracked!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Lee. Now I need a game or two. Plenty still to do though.

      Delete
  5. Very nice mate, I agree with you the waiting for the board to dry is the hardest part

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. Yes waiting is very hard. The temptation to peek is huge.!

      Delete
  6. That's excellent patient work and as you said more than big enough especially for 15mm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fran. I do not need to fill Posties she of war. So for now at least this is more than enough. Gruntz demo boards are 3 foot square I think. So 6'x4' may just be enough size for even a megalomaniac!

      Delete
  7. That looks fantastic Clint, give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frank I may have to photograph all the boards together to fully appreciate what I have done.

      Delete
  8. Very nice looking boards and kudos for getting them done. Look forward to seeing your 15mm French colonise them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carl. Me too! I may be able to fit a game in after the SEWG show. As I will chat to a couple (I hop) fellows then about it. Until then I need to keep plugging away.

      Delete
  9. Great final product and well worth all the effort and whilst I hate waiting for glue and paint to dry thoroughly, it definetly a evil necessity imo.
    Who could now beleive what lies beneath?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe. I shall make some farms next. And for a different game altogether a gladiators arena. There will be No frills on that it is a freebie to an old friend.... in her words we have known each other decades! (Yeah that make me feel old)

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.